Chapter 40-Ryan

The heat from the sun shining onto my eyelids and the amazing scent of roses and vanilla, woke me up slowly. I was lying on my back as I yawned feeling refreshed. It was the first time I felt peaceful in a really long time.

A groan coming from slightly below me had me snapping my head in its direction. Brown curly hair was all I could see from the person laying on my chest. I began looking around trying to piece together what had happened. Seeing the picture of Paige when she was 3 on the night made me realize I was in Martha's bed. A wave of panic came over me as I turned to look back down at her and saw my hand laying contently on her bare back.

Is she? ... Did we?

It's not like certain thoughts didn't cross my mind when she answered the door in only a towel almost dripping wet. Some particular thoughts most definitely crossed my mind when her towel dropped and my hand was right on her skin. I honestly don't even think she realized the way she was looking at me. Her bottom lip trapped between her teeth as she looked up at me. Her gaze never wavering. I almost lost it but thankfully I had enough self control to let her go.

Martha groaned again and began to sit up. I noticed she had a strapless bra on at the very least. It seemed as though she had no idea that I was there until she started examining her surroundings. Wiping the sleep from her eyes she looked at me. It was a few seconds before her eyes widened. "Wh-what are you doing in my bed?"

I gave a nervous smile. "I don't entirely know." She looked down and back at me. We both had the same thought and lifted up the covers. Pulling them back to our bodies we sighed in relief, "Well at least we have clothes on."

"I see you two made up." We both jumped and looked towards the door. There stood Lori with a smug look on her face. "Don't worry though, you guys didn't sleep together."

I narrowed my eyes at her, "How the hell do you know what happened?"

"Yea and why did you break into my house?" Martha added.

"First of all, it's not breaking in if I have a key." She said as she held her copy up for Martha to see, "and second of all, you guys called me last night."

"We did?" Martha and I said in unison.

Lori's eyes went wide as she nodded her head. "Yea, y'all sounded pretty drunk."

"So how do you know we didn't sleep together?" Martha spoke wanting further information.

"Because after my disaster of a date, I decided to come here to see what all the commotion was about and eventually ended up tucking you two idiots in." Martha and I looked at each other and back at Lori. For some reason it still felt awkward as all hell and I didn't know why. We now knew we didn't sleep together so why did it still feel like we did. Not wanting to just sit down anymore I pushed the covers aside and stood up. Lori coughed, "Damn." When I saw her, she was staring at my body. "Didn't know you had all that going on. Daytime really makes everything more... defined."

"Yea, why are we half naked?" Martha chimed in.

Lori took a moment looking at both of us. I was standing in my boxers and Martha was kneeling on the bed holding the covers to her chest. "You guys did that yourself. Kept complaining how hot it was."

"Oh..." Martha's face was becoming a very light shade of pink, that's been happening a lot to her lately, reminds me of when we were teenagers, "and where are our clothes?" She inquired. My attention went back to Lori, waiting for a response.

"Oh please don't bother finding them on my account." Lori was openly checking me out. While I was stifling a laugh at her gawking. Martha picked up a pillow and threw it across the room hitting Lori right in the face. "Ow! Why?!" Martha just glared at her, "What? I'm not allowed to appreciate the sight. Just be happy you guys didn't sleep together."

"Yes, thank God." I chuckled and looked up expecting Martha to be agreeing with me but instead I found a look of hurt on her face but she quickly disguised it with a chuckle. "I didn't mean it like that."

"No, I get it, you thought you might have had a stupid drunken one night stand with one of your friends." She said it so casually as if she meant the same to me as my co-workers.

Does she not realize what she means to me?

"Not to interrupt but I was promised breakfast." We both looked at Lori like she was crazy. Martha began laughing at the lack of her friend's filter.

~~~~~~

"Oh God...I am so stuffed...thank you." Lori said, stretching in her seat, patting her stomach.

"Yea really thank you." I chimed in before stuffing my face with more pancakes. I loved her cooking.

Martha just finished drinking her orange juice and narrowed her eyes, "Well not like I had a choice. I mean who makes their best friend cook for them with a hangover?"

Lori had a sheepish smile as attention was directed towards her. She swallowed the food that was left in her mouth and started to get up. "Alright I should head out, my shift starts in an hour."

"Say hi to Mason for me, I'm sure he'd love to hear all about your date." I said casually, by the way her footsteps paused momentarily at the doorway, I knew I stumped her.

"Um... sure." She said, leaving quickly to avoid further conversation.

Martha was giggling even after Lori closed the front door. When her laughter died down she began looking around the kitchen. I followed her sight and wondered what could be going through her mind.

"I hope you weren't offended by what I said earlier." Her attention snapped back to me. "I saw your face when I agreed with Lori. You need to know you aren't just one of my friends, you're my best friend. The last thing I wanted was to have drunk sex and ruin what we just got back."

A small smile appeared on her face, "Sorry, you just made it seem like sleeping with me was the worst thing on earth. With Jonathan having cheated, it just felt like things were being confirmed."

I didn't realize the insecurities she would be having due to Jonathan's infidelity. The last thing she should be feeling is that she was undesirable just because her husband couldn't keep it in his pants. "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to make you feel that way."

"Can I ask you something?" I asked, realizing since we were already on subject why not.

"Sure." She just shrugged and began grabbing the plates on the table. Putting them into the sink she turned to me. I was just staring, not really sure how to form my question, but I was never one to bite my tongue around her. "What is it?" Tilting her head to observe me.

I got up from my seat and walked towards her, "Do you really believe that you're..." I trailed off.

"That I'm what?" She spoke softly.

"I don't know... undesirable." She immediately avoided my gaze as her eyes found the ground and I could see the light shade of pink invade her cheeks. I stepped a little closer, locking her into the space, placing my finger just beneath her chin to have her look at me. With how close we were I could feel her chest pounding as it rose up and down. She was just as affected by our proximity as I was. I stroked her chin with my thumb as I waited for her answer.

"I-I don't know. I've only ever been desired by one man and he..." Martha squeezed her eyes shut, she couldn't keep saying it out loud.

My brows furrowed as I gazed down at her face, I memorized every inch. "That's not true."

"W-what?" She forced out, snapping her eyes open.

"You haven't only been desired by one man." As soon as I heard her breath get caught in her chest, I snapped out of it. I locked eyes with her and saw the question she was too afraid to ask and I knew I wouldn't answer it.

I told Mason I didn't want to be the final nail in the coffin when it came to her marriage and I meant it. The possibility that if I put myself out there and by some miracle she'd let me make her mine, I couldn't do that with her still figuring things out with Jonathan. When she showed me the petition for divorce papers last night I'll admit I had some hope. Though if she were to leave him or not that has to be 100% her decision. Taking a step back and a deep breath. I gathered myself and cleared my throat. "I should probably get going."