CHAPTER FOUR ❀ FRIENDS, FRENIMIES, AND ENEMIES ❀

i. PILOT 

PART FOUR 

AS THE CREW EMERGED FROM THEIR BOAT, HOARDS OF PEOPLE GATHERED AROUND TO SEE WHAT THE RUCKUS WAS ABOUT.  People whispered to one another about the horrific hurricane that swept through the town, leaving them without signal, and damage that would take a summer to repair. After what John B witnessed earlier today there was no doubt in his mind this it was all connected.

Ambulances and squad cars that scattered through the dock wouldn't let the kids come any closer forcing them to stay at reasonable distance without ruining their investigation.

A body bag was carefully placed on the stretch as paramedics rolled it to the truck. Along the way a middle aged woman Raven knew all too well ran over to her husband crying out for his name.

"Scooter?" Her shaky voice called out. She leaned, choking at the sight of the body.

"Who's that?" John B asked one of the girls from his chemistry class. Raven didn't know much about them besides attending the same elementary school. 

According to Kie, Tif the first to know everything that happens in the Cut.  She was like TMZ but for the poor and working class citizens that didn't have money to get cable and watch The Real Housewives and Sex in the City. 

"It's Scooter Grubs. He was out during the storm," she answered with a satisfied smirk that made Kiara's and Raven's stomach churn. "Check out this pic I got. Dead body, it's insane." Pope was the first to lean his head in to see the rotten body on the glass screen. All he wanted out of their adventure was to see a dead person if there was one, and in the end he felt guilty.

Maybe the person in Tif's phone was a stranger that died peacefully from natural causes, it would've made him feel more comfortable. 

He ripped his eyes away, not able to see anymore. Pope knew this man- they all knew this man. He wasn't a stranger on a street, he was a detailer, a lawn mower, he repaired ships, cleaned bathrooms- he was one of them.

Tif waved her phone to John B, who took a gander at the man. He found it to be peculiar for the man to be out in the storm one of the worst nights out of the year. 

Granted him, Raven, and Pope were out there also, but it was for surfing. John B could be wrong but he didn't remember Scooter being much of a surfer, let alone swimmer.

"What kinda boat did he have?" JJ asked the burning question everyone wanted an answer to.

Tif pulled her phone back and shrugged. "Somehow that dirtbag copped a brand-new Grady-White. Everyone's out looking for it." Kiara frowned at her choice of words and helds Raven's hand.