Chapter 14

Pepper walked into Stark Industries Monday morning and she was greeted by the secretaries on her way to her office. When she walked in Tony was already at his desk and uploading some files. She sat down and stared at the enormous pile of work on her desk. She decided she was going to get Tony's signature before he got distracted or disappeared.

"I need your signature on these," she said from the doorway to his office.

Tony walked over and signed them quickly. He was following her back into her office when there was a knock at the door.

"I have a delivery for Virginia Potts," he said, handing her a bouquet of flowers.

Pepper smiled and she was racking her brain trying to figure out who sent her flowers and why as she pulled the card out.

Ginny,

I'm in town this weekend and I'd love to see you.

Love,

Dylan

Dylan was an old high school boyfriend.

"Is it your birthday?" Tony asked.

"No," she said, tucking the card away in her purse.

"Then why are you getting flowers?" he asked.

"Just because," she said as she walked out of the office and towards the elevators.

"Who are they from?" Tony asked as he followed her.

"That's none of your business," Pepper said.

"Is it Ethan? I hope you're not giving him another chance,"

"Nope. They're not from him," she said as she pressed the button for the elevator.

The door opened and a few people got out and Pepper went inside and Tony followed.

"So who is it? Tell me" he said.

"It's not important," she said.

The elevator suddenly came to a stop and the door wouldn't open. There was some sort of jam.

"Tony get us out of here,"

"I will when we finish our conversation," he said.

"Our conversation is over. You're always trying to be in my business. Boundaries," she said.

"Oh really? Our conversation is over. Boundaries. You wanna talk boundaries and accuse me of trying to be in your business. What about you?" he said.

"Can't you just focus on the elevator?" she said, getting irritated.

"No you don't get to change the subject. Pepper you wrote a blog about the women I sleep with," he said finally getting it off his chest.

Pepper turned red as a beet and she didn't know what to say. She stood there facing him and kept trying to form words but she was stammering.

"I-I I'm so sorry Tony. It started for fun and a silly thing because of the way these women act around you, I never dreamt it would catch on. Am I fired?" she said.

" No, you're not fired," Tony said.

Pepper started to cry. Gently but she was embarrassed. Tony smiled at her.

"Is this funny to you? I bet that just boosted your ego, didn't it?"

" No Pepper you misunderstand me,"

"You're such a jerk some-

Pepper was cut off mid word by Tony's lips pressed against hers. It was a long time coming and it was one of those kisses that freezes time. They were ravenous, kissing each other deeply and sloppily. He had his arm around her waist and she had her fingers through his hair. They switched it up. Some kisses were soft and sweet while others were deep and sensual. Neither of them made any attempts to stop. Tony pushed Pepper gently against the wall and kissed her neck and collarbone and back up.

Pepper felt tears of tension starting to melt away and Tony felt like a teenager with a crush. He was terrified of screwing up. After what seemed like an eternity Pepper finally pulled away from Tony. Tony leaned in to start again, but she put her hand up to stop him.

" NOO Pepper, don't. Don't tell me this was a mistake. Don't don't tell me this can't happen again, please," Tony begged.

" Tony, it's OK. I'm not gonna say those things," Pepper reassured him.

" Then what is it?," he asked.

" We still need to talk about this. There are certain things that need to happen if I'm going to seriously consider seeing where this goes,"

Tony groaned.

Pepper smiled.

"What do I need to do?"

"There are several things. First no women for 90 days so I know you're serious. And then you'd have to come to dinner with my family. I'd want you to meet my friends even ny male friends and-

"What male friends?" he asked.

"Well there are lots within the company but also Dylan. He's my ex boyfriend from high school. He's in town. He's the one who sent me the flowers. None of the jealous nonsense and showing off,"

Tony rolled his eyes.

"What else?" he asked.

"The drinking is out of control. You need to get a handle on that and get us out of this elevator,"

Tony squeezed his eyes shut tightly. These were going to be the most difficult hurdles he's ever had to defeat but he truly wanted Pepper in every way and he was determined to get her. He inserted JARVIS into the elevator's electrical system and got to work.