Chapter 2

"Bye, Minnie," I waved meekly at Mia and watched as her brother's car sped out of the school premises onto the road. I looked down at the small wristwatch that was bought for me by my uncle on my birthday and sighed at the amount of hours that I had left.

I kicked the small pebble near my feet and walked towards the school doors, trying to remember the path towards my home class. When I entered the school building and saw the empty hallways due to students being in their classes, I immediately chose to skip the last few minutes of Afrikaans since I hadn't had the energy to deal with a teacher who was a stickler to time.

The bathroom was more difficult to look for since it was hidden in random corners and when I finally found the girl's bathroom, I almost screamed in joy. The bathroom was just as I expected it to be, clean and sophisticated. It was completely white with black intricate details on the sinks and the mirrors. It was a beautiful bathroom that was a huge contrast from the dirty, brown bathrooms that I was used to from the other schools that I've been to.

As expected there were a handful of girls relaxing in the bathroom, probably skipping a class that was too overbearing or just catching up on their daily gossip. Two girls sat on the floor with their backpacks as their cushions and were gossiping to each other whilst showing each other their phones, another sat on a closed toilet seat taking pictures and the last one applying lip gloss by the bathroom mirror.

"Hi," I whispered out to the girls who immediately stopped whatever they done and greeted back. I smiled awkwardly and walked towards the bathroom stall, ready to take a seat on the toilet seat and text my parents about the day that I had until the bell rang.

"You're Minnie, right?" I stopped myself from entering the bathroom stall and turned towards the group of girls. Since I hadn't known where the question came from, I nodded my head and looked at each of their faces, wondering who wanted to know. The girl that was applying lip gloss turned towards me with a tight lipped smile which caused some lip gloss to travel down her lip towards her chin, "You and I have maths classes together."

"That's nice."

"I've noticed that you and Mia clicked with one another already," I nodded once more, wondering where she wanted to take this conversation. I wasn't one who enjoyed having a conversation with anyone other than my family so this was a pretty draining and painful encounter. "I know that you're new to this school so you don't know alot of things especially about your 'friend' , Mia."

"What about her?" I asked as I stepped towards her.

"Yeah, what about her, Denise?" Another girl who sat on the floor asked as she glared at her. "There's nothing to say about her other than that she's a sweet person who's just a little rough around the edges. Right, Denise?" She pressed even further then turned towards me with a pained smile. "You can go do whatever you wanted to do."

"Your friend is part of the Shin family," Denise said as she crossed her legs and shoved the little lip gloss into her skirt pocket.

"Oh no, Denise," the other friend that sat on the floor stood up and ran towards her. "You know what happens to snitches. You of all people should know the consequences of blabbering to the whole world of that family. There's some things that we can discuss but this isn't one of them. Leave it right now, Deni."

"How can you guys just watch her ruin her life? You can see that Mia has some plans for her and she needs to know a little bit about the family so she knows exactly what she got herself into being friends with Mia." All the girls scrunched their faces as if her words left a strong bitterness in their mouths.

The girl that was seated on the toilet seat rushed towards the door of the bathroom and locked it. "Shin Mia is the youngest kin of the yakuza. She is known around the school as a psychopath who enjoys killing innocent people with her family members." 

"What?" I couldn't believe a word that she had said. It was impossible that a girl like her could be a killer. There were many times that people made up stories about other students because they wanted others to dislike the girl just as much as they do. I believe that it was the exact same case but this story that they were telling me was beyond anything that I've ever heard of.

"Her family is one of the most feared names in all of Asia because of their brutal manner in which they kill their victims, the large tattoos that are engraved on their backs and the red masks that they wear whenever they attacked a group."

"It's been said that the only people who have seen them were those  people who dared to cross them. A story that I've been told was that their swords had the group's name engraved as well as who it belonged to and the only way you'll know both of those names is when the blade is pressed against your neck," the girl who relaxed against the bathroom door said as she looked over her shoulder, as if someone could see her through the thick wood.

"There's not much we can say, Minnie, but you need to run away from her and as quickly as possible because she's going to bring hell to your feet if you don't," my breath halted at the words that the girl who sat on the floor said.

"I saw that she met the Shin brother earlier on so I guess it's way too late now. I pray for you, Minnie. I pray for the day that they would be killed so you can be saved and just for extra precaution, I hope you do the same," Denise said as she held my hand tightly.