Chapter 17

After the eventful night of constant margaritas and alcoholic beverages that were stolen from Hwan’s hand, I was completely influenced to the point where my feet lost their usual rhythm and my words slurred until it was a bunch of blabbering noises. I stumbled as I walked towards my friend group who laughed amongst themselves as they shared their next glasses of alcohol, listening to each other's stories that hadn't made any sense to them and giving in their idiotic jokes that would instantly break everyone into a fit of laughter.

“You’re so drunk,” Melissa, a schoolmate who managed to be a close friend for those times that I managed to get Mia’s claws off of me, said as she swung her right arm over my shoulder and brought me closer to her body. Melissa and I became friends through the interest of watching crime documentaries and reading horror books. We ended up sharing our preferences over a free period and have never thought of disappearing from each other’s presence ever again. “I promised Hwan that I would not let you have more than three glasses,” she said as she sipped onto her next glass and gave me a mischievous smile.

Although she was drunk, she was much more sober than the rest of us in the group. She was used to alcohol because she started drinking when she was 13 so most drinks went through her and would only affect her after the 7th bottle. Due to this, she ended up being the designated driver to most of our functions and was the one who would have the courage and strength to force us to call a quits when it was needed. Today, unlike other days, she allowed us to continue as today was a celebration.

“He could not keep the drinks down so you are safe,” I responded as I smiled back and then turned to the rest of the group who desperately needed a glass of water. “Plus, I have some water to wash it off for a few minutes.” I lifted the bottled water for everyone to see and they all responded with a nod. “I don't want to hear an earful from my mother so this will make her happy.”

“We need to go home, my curfew ended like an hour ago,” Isabella, a close friend of Melissa's, said as she stuffed her lip gloss and compact mirror into her purse as she stood up. She was the only one in the group who wasn't drunk off of her mind and was able to be sober enough to drive home safely.

“Have a safe drive,” I said as I hugged her. “You guys should go home too, your parents are not going to be pleased to see how late you guys are coming home,” I reprimanded as I sat on the chair and messaged my temple as a headache from the loud music started settling in. “You need to go home,” I repeated as I chugged down the cold water. I sighed at the refreshing feeling of the refrigerated water coming down my throat and cooling my body that overheated due to the countless dancing and laughing.

They all nodded at the suggestion and stood up, clearing the table from their belongings, and walked out of the venue. “I need some air,” I said as I finished the remnants of the water and made my way towards the outside balcony.

I sighed in contentment when the fresh nightly breeze brushed against the exposed parts of my body and the scent of the crisp air wafted into my nose. It was refreshing as I was cooped in a venue that was filled with people who covered themselves with different types of wonderful perfumes that collided with each other and caused a headache. I walked towards the chairs that faced the scenery of the area and took a seat, kicking off the heels that covered my feet for the past 4 hours and wiggled my toes, relishing the fact that my feet were free.

I watched the beautiful scenery and sat in the same position, praying that no one would interrupt me. I sat up straight when I heard the door that closed off the balcony open and heard the loud clack of heels that came from someone who was extremely exhausted. “What are you doing outside?” My mother asked as she sat in the chair beside me and moved to take off her heels. “Everyone is having fun inside and your husband is looking for you as well.”