CHAPTER 6

Minnie, I told you not to go wandering in my home. You have no idea how much trouble you would've been in if my brother wasn't in a good mood," Mia shouted the second I came out of the room and when she shut the door behind me. I knew that I hadn't listened to her orders but I thought that although I was wrong, she shouldn't panic. Her brothers wouldn't do much to me since I hadn't done anything bad other than to just search through their things.

"I'm sorry but it was hard not to when I hadn't known where the movie theatre was," she shook her head in disappointment at my words and continued leading me further into her home until we reached the basement door. "Where did you go anyways?"

"My father wanted to have a last-minute meeting with some clients and I couldn't miss it," she said as she opened the door of the movie theatre. "Oh, I even bought your favourite sweets." I squealed when we reached the front row and saw many packets of gummies such as jelly babies, jellybeans, some packets of different types of puffs and two large glasses of mojitos that my throat screamed to have it coming down my throat.

I first grabbed my drink before taking my seat and turned towards the comedy show that Mia enjoyed. After a few minutes of watching the show, we suddenly went into the conversation of our crushes. "No ways," I laughed when she showed me an image of a boy she liked since the beginning of high school. He was one of those really quiet, nerdy boys who enjoyed spending their time in the library or playing videogames. It was a shocker that she liked those types of boys when she was such an outgoing person who seemed like she would enjoy the presence of cheese boys or boys who were similar in nature to her.

"I approached him one of the first days that I came to the school and tried to win him over by buying him food. He was obviously not interested in me but I was so delusional," she laughed as she pulled out her phone and started searching his name on Facebook so that I could have a glimpse of who she had been talking about. "I was troubling him a lot last year so I don't know if he had blocked me from his account. I found him."

"Wow, Mia," I said when I looked at the awkward pictures of the boy who had dirty blonde hair and wore different coloured stripped shirts. I was even more speechless when I moved down to see the many motivational quotes, love poems and cat videos. "He looks like a keeper. No wonder you liked him."

"He was so perfect and I was so sure that I was going to have him as my date for my birthday party but my brothers threw a fit when they found out that he was my crush. They went to school one day and beat him up, it took at least ten teachers to separate them up. It was after this that he moved out of school and never came back." I have always admired classmates who had siblings especially brothers because they were extremely protective and were the sweetest even though their siblings complained about their nature. It was only at these times was I grateful for the lack of siblings.

"That's pretty messed up."

"You would've imagined what I was going through when I found out that my father sent them because he didn't want any boy near his precious daughter," she said sadly as she scrolled further into his page. "I learnt from that day to never have a crush." I hummed and turned towards the screen, laughing at the story every now and then.

~~~~~~~~

It was already Sunday and I was relieved that I was finally going home after a very eventful weekend. My mother was the most excited as she messaged me at midnight that she would fetch me from the house at 6 in the morning. Due to that, Mia woke me up at 3 am so that we could talk for one last time whilst I packed my clothes into my suitcase. "There's a Branda Fassie concert next week Saturday. You want to come with me?"

"I'm surprised that you know her." I was highly aware of Mia's taste in songs and I knew that the chances of her listening to "Vuli Ndlela" and "Nomakanjani" instead of her K-pop and western music would be very slim.