Chapter 16

The pit in my stomach grew when the car that was sent to pick me up, drove up the driveway of the castle-like venue. It felt like a never-ending nightmare to know that this was the day that would soon mark the loss of freedom and the eternal bond between him and me. I wanted to run away but I had no thoughts, no ideas of how I could do that. I so wished that I spent my time at the house planning and getting people who would help with my escape from him but I was much too busy mourning the death of my father and catering for those that came to the house to share their condolences.

“We’re here, ma'am,” the driver, Frank, said as he parked the car in the middle of the driveway. I nodded at the words said and stepped out of the car, turning around to look at the many people who rushed in and out of the building with the wedding supplies.

“Thanks for driving me, Frank. I hope you have a great day,” I said as I closed the door. I straightened the previously bundled-up nightgown and walked towards the front doors. I knew that my outfit wasn't appropriate but I lacked decent clothes at home since most were left in the Shin household. I passed greetings to whoever walked passed me until I met Mia who stood in front of one of the wedding planners, shouting at her for some mistake that she had made. I wanted to walk away from the scene but I knew that the only way that I was about to get dressed was to follow her around.

“You're a bit daft sometimes. Oh, hi, Minnie. Don't you think coming two hours before your wedding is a bad idea?” Mia asked as she pushed the wedding planner away and then proceeded to lead me further into the hallways. “YYoulucky I saw you first before Mother or else you would hear an earful from her. She's been a bit moody today so it's best to stay away from her for a while.” I nodded absentmindedly as I walked through the hallway, looking at the many flowers that were still in their packets and the beautiful scenery that showed through the large arcs. I hadn't picked the venue so I was surprised to see something that I loved and envisioned for the last 10 years.

“I can't wait to see you in your dress,” she squealed as she opened the large barn doors that opened to my dressing room. I was in awe as I took in the large, empty room that was designed in the most magnificent way with wonderful woodwork that made it seem as if we were royals. The only things that could be seen in the room were the large dresses that were still in their bags, a floor-to-ceiling mirror, a small couch, and the beautiful view of the wedding decor in the garden. “I thought your mom was coming with you.”

“She's a bit busy right now but she will be here before it starts.” She nodded at the response and took a seat on the couch.

“Your team is coming in after a few minutes so you can just relax for a while.”

~~~~~~~~~~

“We are done,” the dressmaker said as she tied the last bit of the corset. “Are you ready to see yourself?” she enthusiastically asked as she gave me a large smile that I was sure hurt her cheeks and jaw. I nodded at the question and watched as the dressmaker rushed to lift my dress from the ground to make it easier for me to turn towards the mirror. I was intrigued as to how I looked since they had been styling me for the last 2 and a half hours. “You are going to be surprised.”

I cast my eyes from the tip of my neat bun and slowly descended so that I could take in the beauty that everyone was enamored with. I wasn't one for dresses so it was refreshing to see me wear a wedding gown that complimented my petite physique. “It's beautiful,” I said absentmindedly as I grazed the material with my fingertips. Although I looked beautiful and became the very reason the dressmaker and makeup artists rushed to compliment and take dozens of photographs, I felt disgusted with the sight of myself.

 Although I looked beautiful and became the very reason the dressmaker and makeup artists rushed to compliment and take dozens of photographs, I felt disgusted with the sight of myself