Chapter 3

I shook my head slightly to get rid of the thoughts about the conversation that occurred in the bathroom a few minutes ago and tried to listen to the mathematics teacher who explained a very important concept that was about to be examined.

Those girls had to be lying, they just had to be because no one had that amount of darkness within them. Mia was an awkward girl but she wasn't a person that would kill someone, I know she wouldn't be but a thought that something along those girls' words just had some truth, constantly ran through my mind.

I hadn't known what to do with the information given to me and began to regret the second I walked into these school doors. I wasn't here for more than a day and I was already involved in shenanigans that were horrifying. I sighed and switched off my phone when I saw Mia's name when she called me. It would be best if I had ignored her existence until I find out the truth about her and her family.

The bell for afterschool wasn't ever so satisfying except for today. Since Mia left, people had been treating me weird. Although I approached other girls with a large smile and calm demeanor, they either ignored me or walked away in fear. I wondered why was that so since I had never done anything to the girls at school since I hadn't known them.

I snatched my backpack from the floor and rushed towards the parkinglot,  ready to take the road trip towards my home so that I could finally relax and continue reading the mystery novel that my mother found in the library. I waved enthusiastically at my parents when I saw the familiar red Mini Cooper and rushed into the car.

"How was your day, sweetheart?" My father asked as he sped out of the school parkinglot. "Did you make some friends?" He shot immediately after, not caring that I hadn't answered his previous question.

"Yes, I had actually," I replied setting my heavy backpack onto the seat next to me and sighed. "I met this girl immediately in the first period. Her name is Shin Mia. She's actually really...." I screamed when my father suddenly stopped the car and turned towards me with a glare.

"What did you just say?" I quickly rubbed my forehead as I had hit it harshly against the window from the rough stop that my father had done. Before I could shout him about his reckless driving, he immediately grabbed my chin, turned me towards him and said, "Who's your friend?"

"Shin Mia. Do you know her by any chance?" It was odd that my father had tightened the grip on his steering wheel just from a name of a girl from school. His stress lines increased and a large frown plastered on his face. He was mad, extremely mad and I hadn't known what made him do so. "Dad, we need to go. There's alot of cars behind us."

He suddenly snapped out of his thoughts, turned back towards the road and continued driving in silence. This behaviour that my father displayed was completely out of character. My father was a man that was a very friendly person who loved to smile with everyone that he had encountered. He always wore kaki trousers, a white shirt and a clip on bow tie. The only time he would change something about his looks was when his birthday would come by and he would change his black bow tie into a colorful one.

I sighed in relief when I saw the familiar home that we had just moved into the past few days. I was shocked that we had gotten this home because it was situated in a very established community which had neighbour's who were CEOs of business and other affluent people. My father was a Philosophy lecturer whereas my mother, a kindergarten teacher, so it came to me as a shock when we had gotten this home.

My mother told me that we had gotten the home because of my father being his boss' favourite. She told me that my father had striken a very big deal with the boss to make sure that we had the best life that we could've ever gotten. When I had asked my mother what the deal had consisted of, she quickly brushed off the topic and continued to gush over new items of clothing that she found on a website.

When my father drove into the garage, he quickly left the car with his briefcase in hand. "Minnie, excuse your father. He had a tough day at work so he's a little antsy," my mother rushed out to say and grabbed my hand, an action she done whenever she wanted you to give her your undivided attention. "I've heard some things about the Shin family and you must leave her alone. She's not good for you and I don't want her to taint you. Try to avoid her tomorrow."

"I can't, ma. She sits right next to me and has already claimed me as her friend. I just can't ignore her, she'll get to me as soon as possible." Leaving her wasn't as easy as everyone believed it to be. I've spent a day with her and I already know that she doesn't take rejection lightly.

"Minnie, I can't explain everything right now but I need you to listen to me. Leave that girl alone and you will be safe." She then caressed me face and hopped out of her with her large box of art products.

"What the hell have I gotten myself into?" I whispered into the quiet car as I rubbed my forehead.