Chapter 19 - Song of Ambition

Caelin.

A land of beauty and grace, where green plains stretch under the clear blue skies and the gentle wind carries the fragrance of wildflowers and the neighing of horses. It is one of the noble houses of Lycia, a league of independent states that share a common heritage and culture. Caelin is ruled by Lord Hausen, a wise and benevolent marquess who loves his people and his family dearly.

At the center of Caelin stands its castle, Castle Caelin, a majestic and sturdy fortress that symbolizes its strength and glory. The castle is protected by high walls and towers, and has a large gate that welcomes visitors and allies with open arms. It is a place of pride and honor, where the legacy of Caelin is preserved and celebrated by its loyal knights and citizens.

But lately, the castle has been shrouded in silence and tension, as a dark shadow looms over its future.

The cheerful laughter and lively music that once filled its halls have been replaced by solemn whispers and ominous silence.

People who once walked with confidence and joy now look around with fear and anxiety.

Servants who once served with diligence and respect now work with haste and caution.

Knights who once trained with vigor and courage now patrol with vigilance and suspicion.

The castle that once radiated light and warmth now feels cold and gloomy. The castle that once stood as a beacon of hope and prosperity now faces a grave threat and an uncertain destiny.

Surrounded by his loyal soldiers, Lundgren was sitting on the throne in Castle Caelin. He was holding a letter in his hand, a letter that confirmed his worst fear. One of his spies had tipped him off that Madelyn's daughter, the rightful heir of Caelin, was still alive and heading towards the castle.

"What? Madelyn's daughter is still alive?" Lundgren snapped at the spearman in disbelief.

"Uh... Yes, Lord Lundgren." The spearman replied nervously.

"The girl is traveling with Kent and Sain." He nodded.

"What are your orders? If we let them be..." The spearman trailed off, fearing Lundgren's wrath.

Lundgren snorted in contempt. He dismissed the tip he received as a mere nuisance.

He had already poisoned Lord Hausen's mind with lies and slander about his daughter Madelyn, who had eloped with a commoner from Sacae. He had also spread rumors that Madelyn's child had died at birth, securing his position as the next marquess of Caelin. But it seems it wasn't enough.

"Bah! I've heard that northern Bern is full of bandits." He said dismissively.

He lowered his head in mock sympathy. He ridiculed the marquess's granddaughter, who had no idea of the danger she was in.

"She's just a girl. She'll not survive her journey here." Lundgren said in a false sad tone.

A wicked smile curled his lips. He was confident that his plan would succeed. He would soon become the marquess of Caelin, and no one would stand in his way.

But then Lundgren's face darkened as he glanced at the portrait of his brother hanging on the wall.

"I'm more concerned with my older brother." He said in a cold voice.

"His life must be ended quickly." He stressed each word with a grave tone.

He looked at the letter in his hand and tore it into pieces.

"The poison..." He paused and met the spearman's eyes. "There must be no blunders." Lundgren said with a stern look.

The spearman obediently nodded. "Yes, m'lord. He suspects nothing and continues to drink it."