Prologue

જ⁀➴

𝑨𝒏 𝒊𝒏𝒗𝒊𝒔𝒊𝒃𝒍𝒆 𝒓𝒆𝒅 𝒕𝒉𝒓𝒆𝒂𝒅 𝒄𝒐𝒏𝒏𝒆𝒄𝒕𝒔
𝒕𝒉𝒐𝒔𝒆 𝒘𝒉𝒐 𝒂𝒓𝒆 𝒅𝒆𝒔𝒕𝒊𝒏𝒆𝒅 𝒕𝒐 𝒎𝒆𝒆𝒕,
𝒓𝒆𝒈𝒂𝒓𝒅𝒍𝒆𝒔𝒔 𝒐𝒇 𝒕𝒊𝒎𝒆, 𝒑𝒍𝒂𝒄𝒆 𝒐𝒓 𝒄𝒊𝒓𝒄𝒖𝒎𝒔𝒕𝒂𝒏𝒄𝒆.
𝑻𝒉𝒆 𝒕𝒉𝒓𝒆𝒂𝒅 𝒎𝒂𝒚 𝒔𝒕𝒓𝒆𝒕𝒄𝒉 𝒐𝒓 𝒕𝒂𝒏𝒈𝒍𝒆,
𝒃𝒖𝒕 𝒊𝒕 𝒘𝒊𝒍𝒍 𝒏𝒆𝒗𝒆𝒓 𝒃𝒓𝒆𝒂𝒌.

-𝑪𝒉𝒊𝒏𝒆𝒔𝒆 𝑷𝒓𝒐𝒗𝒆𝒓𝒃

»»----- ➴ -----««

"The sunset is beautiful, isn't it?"

So here it was again.

He didn't say anything, didn't look at the sun going down the horizon.

He knew the scenery would be captivating. He knew he would see a marvelous combination of colors if he bothered to turn at it.

But he also knew that the woman was not talking about a literal sunset.

"Sky." Her voice broke as his name slipped off her tongue. One word, so many emotions.

Understanding. Affection.

Regret. Pain.

He remained impassive. He knew what was coming.

"Let's break up."

It didn't surprise him, didn't affect him any bit. And he wondered if he was cold-hearted for not feeling anything.

How could he justify himself by saying he wasn't new to this?

It happened before.

It happened again.

Over and over, it had been the same thing.

The same words, the same excuse.

"I love you. And I always find it fun whenever I'm with you."

They would always say they loved him.

"I know you care a lot about me too. I never doubted the sincerity of your kindness."

And he would always try hard to return their affection.

"But it feels like our love is not the same. It's painful to admit but it's as if I'm the only one who's in love between the two of us."

Yet, it was never enough in the end.

It would always start with him being their ideal man. They would always see him as a good person at first.

And it would always end with him being the bad guy. Always, always, it would be his fault.

The woman's lips curved into a smile that didn't quite reach her eyes. "Not even going to make an excuse for yourself, I see. You don't even plan to argue with me and object to the breakup, huh?"

Because what was he supposed to say?

His gaze darted to her hand, eyes lingering at the red band around her little finger, and then back to her crestfallen face.

How could he say that it was because of the cursed red string? Something that was visible only to him.

How could he admit that he felt anxious every time he looked at their interlaced fingers and saw that their threads were not connected? How could he tell her that they were not fated for each other?

Pathetic reasons. He didn't have the right to use them when even he didn't believe in soul mates, when even he had been trying to go against this goddamned destiny.

"Goodbye then, Sky."

Time and time again, the ending didn't change.

Ah, he was sick and tired of it.