destiny 07

The sun had not come out this afternoon, and the night would likely pass without a glimpse of the moon and the stars. Water curtains dripped from the corrugated roofs of the establishments, creating unique tunes as they hit the ground.

Through the foggy glass walls, Sky made out the glimmers of lamp posts and the silhouette of umbrellas in the streets. Some individuals might call this weather gloomy, but the assistant professor found it rather tranquil. The world had been in a constant rush, forever moving in a blur, and it needed a little pause once in a while. Sky didn't mind that the rain always slowed down the time, compelled people to step back a bit in their daily lives.

He lazily swirled the half-empty pint glass in his hand and studied the obscure reflection of the pendant lights before he took a sip of the beer. The liquid warmed his throat, but the sensation dissolved right away, not even reaching his gut. Underwhelmed, Sky put his drink down, picked up the fork, and helped himself to a piece of roasted baby potato. A shot or two of whiskey would have been perfect for the cool atmosphere, but he had made an oath to never consume any hard liquor the night before a working day.

Besides, it's not a good idea to drag him into it, he mused as he directed his eyes to his companion in front of him. He brought back the glass of beer near his mouth to hide the smirk that threatened to appear when he was greeted by the sight of JP scowling at the plates full of different dishes. He could not tell whether the young instructor was worried about being unable to finish the food or upset that he had been tricked into coming to this all-you-can-eat restaurant.

Maybe a little bit of both, Sky decided.

When they had entered this place earlier, he had given JP the right to choose their main course, but the younger man had argued that Sky should be the one to do that since it was a treat for him. Because he didn't want to have a prolonged discussion in front of the restaurant's counter, the assistant professor had shrugged and proceeded to pick the dishes while hoping JP would be fine with his choices—chicken cordon bleu, garlic butter prawns, pork barbeque, spring rolls. And then, they were given roasted baby potatoes, glazed carrot strips, and cucumber tomato salad on the side.

Sky continued to drink his beer without taking his gaze off JP, watched as his light brown eyes seared. Those pair often gave his emotions away, flaring like coals when the owner was ticked off and turning into ashes when he was afraid.

Just from their first encounter, this guy had established that he was not a person who would easily bow down to anyone. Yet, within a few weeks of them working in the same office, Sky had uncovered that he was not as fearless as he had made himself out to be. He had been a witness to JP's few vulnerable moments, and the discovery made him itch to peel off the young instructor's whole brave façade just so he could see more of what was behind the pretense.

The temperature in the room went up just as the thought crossed his mind, but Sky chose to pin the sudden blood-hot feeling in his face on the delayed effect of the alcohol. He abruptly lowered his hand, causing the bottom of the glass to hit the table with a rap.

His unwitting action startled JP. The young instructor stared at Sky with wide eyes while his hand with a skewer stopped just a hairbreadth away from his mouth.

"What? Are you already drunk?" JP asked, placing the pork barbeque down on his plate without taking a bite.

"I guess I am," Sky muttered, lying to the instructor. And more to himself.

"That's weird. I don't remember you being this easily drunk when I went with you and Dion to a bar-and-grill on my first day on the job."

Knowing it was safer not to answer the statement, Sky feigned full interest in the food. He took a slice of cordon bleu from the serving dish.