~ 9 ~

I had a busy week. My Dad and I took a plane to Miami. I did not worry to bring extra things. I was able to fit everything in just two suitcases. The apartment is already furnished. My Dad rented a car for the first five days he stayed with me. He wants to make sure I had everything I needed.

First two days we did a lot of driving around. Figure out where things are. Where Target is, we don't have large convenience stores in the mountains and I was very quickly amazed. We have privately owned drugstores but they are small with only two bands of toothpaste, toilet paper, and one band of tampons and panty liners. Target has a whole aisle dedicated to feminine products. And what is a lily cup? I really need to come back there without my Dad.

I got everything I need for my apartment dish soap, laundry detergent, paper towels, etc. I already love going food shopping in Miami, there are so many fresh local fruits and vegetables. I know I am a wolf and need meat but mangos, passionfruit, sweet honeydew, and much more.

****

Today is my first day of class. My Dad dropping me off at school and then he is heading to the airport. It hard saying bye to him. We were never apart for more than a few hours.

He got out of the car, gives me a tight hug, and says. "Ivy I am so proud of you." Kissing my forehead. "I want you to know something. If you don't like it here or the school. I will come right back and take you home. You don't need to prove anything to anyone. You are an amazing chef like your mom. It comes naturally to you. It's in your blood." He takes my face in his hands and kisses my forehead.

I node to him that I understood.

"That's my girl." He gives me a last hug and drives off. I watch him leave.

This is a different feeling. I check my phone for the time, it's 7:34. My class starts at 8 am. I need to get going. I find my classroom with ease. I walk in and it's half full. There is an instructor in the front of the room. He is well dressed but I did not get a good look because I am in wow of their state-of-the-art kitchen. They have six working stations equipped with an oven and counter space. Each working station has a metal bar table on wheels and three stools that can be moved out of the way easily.

I look around the room, the right side in the front is all empty. I make my way there and slide into the bar stool. I am tall so my feet are comfortably resting on the floor. The kitchen is equipped with the latest gadgets, everything is stainless steel and spotless clean.

More students walk into the classroom. Two guys sit next to me. They are talking among themselves. I guess they are friends. I take out my journal-like notebook and pen. I am ready.

I lift my eyes to the front of the room to get a good look at my instructor and I am met with a pair of crystal blue eyes staring right at me. I blink a couple of times from the unexpectancy and stare back for five seconds. His stare is intense so I lower my eyes.

I feel Devon picks up her head in alarm. "Devon, what's wrong?" I ask her. I sniff for her. Nothing. I feel Devon retreat in my mind without a word. Great still not talking to me.

"Okay class, all of you are here we can get started. Welcome to Vine culinary school. My name is Ily Balhtazar. Everyone calls me Balthazar you can do the same. No need for Mr, Sir, or Professor... This is a fast-paced 13 month program. Classes are twice a week for 6 hours, Monday and Wendnesday's. Once a month you will have a quiz on what you learn in class and material you read. You will need to put in the time, the studying, and do your homework." he waits a minute for this information to sink in."

"We are going to start all the way in the back, my right, last row, right corner. Tell me your name and in one to three sentences why you want to be a chef." Balthazar introduces himself.

The guy on the far right corner starts in a nervous voice I am lucky I am not the first one."Hi everyone, my name is Daniel Rizzo, I want to be a chef because, well my grandfather owns an Italian restaurant called Vero Italian. Once I graduate I will take over the family business."

All the other introductions were basically the same. Family business or passion. By the time they get to me, it will be the same boring reply.

During this time I take the opportunity to get a good look at Balthazar. He is wearing a grey suit with a white shirt and a tie, he is tall about 6'4, and has a little bit of an accent maybe German? His hair is strikingly white. He does not look that old to have such grey hair. He may be in his 50s. Ihaves white hair. Well, it is a unique shade of blonde. I take the ends of my hair in my finger and I compare it to his. Yep, it's different his is more blonde.

My turn to speak came up very quickly. "Hi, my name is Ivy Blackbeard. The reason why I want to become a chef is because I am passionate about it and my passion comes from my mom. She was an amazing baker and an amazing cook." I introduce myself.

Balthazar stands in front of me and asks. "If it's okay can you share your mom's name with the class?"

I am a little confused. He did not ask anyone any questions during their introductions why me? But it's okay no big deal. "My mom's name was Hedera," I answer him.

His folded arms drop to his side. His eyes open wide. I look at him in confusion.

"Class you have a 15-minute break." He quickly exits the classroom. What just happened, what break! It's just been 30 minutes into the class. All the students look at each other and no one moves.

Balthazar