~ 10 ~

15 minutes can feel like forever when you are waiting for something. I am sitting quietly in my sit just listening to everyone's conversations. I look at the back of the classroom and I see Balthazar standing in the hallway talking to someone. The man he is talking to looks younger, same height, and has the same white hair. That's weird, this guy can not have grey hair, he is too young.

I try to listen to what they are saying but with my human hearing, it is not possible. "Devon, can you please listen to what they are saying? Please." I beg her, but she completely ignores me.

Huh

"Alright class." Balthazar walks in and addresses the class. "As your first assignment, you will have 20 minutes to create a sauce, dressing, or topping. It must be in liquid form. I want to see how creative you are. In the pantry's second shelf, there are single-use small sample paper cups. They look like fast-food ketchup cups. Grab 19 of them with small sample gelato spoons. Before your 20 minutes are up, you need to pour your recipes into those cups for me and your classmates to taste. The pantry is in the back of the room and all your bowls and utensils are on the side. Your time begins right now. Go!"

Half of the class is on their feet already running to the pantry. Some students are lost in thought of what to prepare. I sit there for a second, my mind is racing 100 miles an hour. Then I have one of my mom's recipes popped into my head. It was in the book that Luna Evelyn gave me on my birthday. I want to make it for Dad last weekend but run out of time.

I get up and seed walk to the pantry. I grab fresh cranberries, strawberries, and raspberries. Then my spices,
cinnamon, pumpkin spicy, chilly oil, and sugar.

I also grab a saucepan and a wooden spoon. Pour one cup of water and put it to boil adding my cranberries. Then I remember something. The recipe only had the ingredients with no measurements. That is why I wanted to play with it the figure out the correct measurement.

Crap! Not a smart move Ivy trying to impress the instructor with a recipe you never made. Okay, what is the worst that can happen, that he doesn't like it?

I took out ten spoons for tasting the recipe and adding the ingredients as I go. I can not double-dip with my spoon. I turned the heat too high and the 20 minutes felt like 5.

I fill 19 sample cups with my sauce and popped them in the chiller for three minutes and I am ready. I look around, all my classmates are time cautious too. Everyone placed their sample cups in front of them.

Balthazar's phone beeps and he said. "Everyone your time is up."

He did not give a 10 minutes or 5 minutes warning look as they do on the cooking shows. He comes over to me and stands in front of me.

Oh great, I guess he will start with me. Now he will compare mines to all others. I will rather be last.

"So, what do you have for us Ivy," he addresses me.

"I made cranberry berry ice cream topping," I answer him.

He takes my paper sample cup and then takes a good amount on his sample spoon and puts it in his mouth. I can see his eyes get wider from his taste bud explosion. I made it sweet and tart on purpose.

He smiles and says. "This is a great start." and moves on to the two boys next to me. Very quickly he went through all the stations tasting everyone's sauces. Everyone made something savory. Italian dressing, Caesar dressing, balsamic vinaigrette, Daniel the guy that was introduced first made marinara sauce. I was impressed.

Balthazar gave us 15 minutes to taste each other's recipes. Everyone is so talented.

"Alright, I have one question before we clean up and get started on our lesson. Did any of you prepare your sauce recipes for the first time now?"
Balthazar asks.

I raise my hand... I look around and my hand is the only one raised.

"That's what I thought. Thank you for your honesty." He faces me and then the whole class. "Alright clean up your station and we will start our lecture on food basics."

I get up and start cleaning. I start thinking. Who won the challenge? He did not give anyone constructive criticism, or hints on how to improve their recipe, I guess he needed to assess our skills. No pass or fail, no good or bad.

The rest of the lessons was on product recognition, knife skills, and safety. By the time the class was done I was mentally exhausted. So much information. I look at my notes. So much writing.

I look at Balthazar his suit jacket is off, his shirt sleeves are rolled up and the tie is loose around his neck with his first button unbuttoned. I believe that happened when he was showing the class the section on knife safety and skills. But, he shows no signs of exhaustion. If I was in front of a class talking for 6 hours straight I would be with my head down on my desk taking a power nap.

I get up pack my things, say bye to Balthazar as everyone else does, and head out of the class. I should check my phone. I am walking in the hallway searching for my phone in my bag. I guess I was not watching where I was going because I bump into someone hard. I almost fall on my butt.

"Ouch!... I am so sorry, I was not looking where I was going. I was looking for my phone." I tell the person who I literally knocked everything out of their hands.

I look at the ground there are books and paper everywhere. I get on my one knee to help pick everything up. Then I look at the girl I bumped into. She is just a little older than me. Short pixie cut and her hair is snow white with a tint of violet color.

She stops picking up papers and looks at me, noticing that I am staring.

"Well it's not all your fault I was also not looking where I was going. Hi, my name is Iris." She places all the books she just picked up in her left arm and offers me a handshake.

I do the same and shake her hand. "I am Ivy, nice to meet you," I reply.

"Can you please help me with those folders and books? My Dad's office is right around the corner. I help out at the school. My father owns this school his name is Balthazar."

"Sure..."

Iris