Chapter Six: Father's Day

Trigger Warning: Later on in the chapter there is some triggering and depressive thoughts, almost border line suicidal depending how you look at it. There's also a part where a character dissociates for a bit. I've never experience dissociation before, nor have I seen it, but I wrote it the best I could base off of research I looked and read up online.

~

It's been several days since that night, and the Doctor has acted as if that night never happened.

Rebecca is a little surprised on how the days had gone, not to mention the speed. Despite the days having become 'break days', as the Doctor had degreed after Satellite Five, Rebecca still enjoyed herself and had a lot of fun spending time with the Doctor on the Tardis.

Yet she can't help but think back to the next morning after finding the Doctor in his trashed room.

~

Rebecca woke up with her head lying on the Doctor's lap, where it was not resting the night before. The shifter felt her face heat up as her cheeks reddened with a slight blush in her embarrassment. Rebecca shifted in order to discreetly stretch without bothering the Doctor too much, then noticed she is covered by a nice soft woolen blanket.

But, despite her embarrassment, Rebecca can't help but admit that that was one of the best she has ever slept ever since she had first shifted. She honestly did not want to get up, Rebecca felt at peace.

She felt a wisp of her hair softly brushed from her face and tucked behind her ear. The touch was so quick and soft, Rebecca almost missed it. And because of it, Rebecca was fully awake and knew she should get up now.

With a sigh, Rebecca slowly moved and sat back up, rubbing at her eyes with a tired yawn. She turned to see the Doctor staring at her, noticing the content neutral expression he now had. Although Rebecca could still see the haunted look in his eyes from that night.

Rebecca's heart squeezed at the reminder and she wanted to try and push him now for answers, ask more of what happened the night before.

But before she had the chance to open her mouth and even say a word, the Doctor greeted her with a cheerful smile.

"Morning sleepyhead!", the Doctor grins, "Did you sleep well?"

Rebecca gave the Doctor a studying look.

Despite his cheer, Rebecca could still see a rawness in the Doctor's eyes. Like whenever you have extra sensitive skin because you've scrubbed it too hard or for too long. He's trying to move past last night's events, she realizes. But Rebecca can tell it still took a heavy toll on him.

Even so, Rebecca promised herself that she wouldn't push the Doctor when he's closed up like this. Even without the promise, Rebecca knew pushing the Doctor wouldn't end well.

So, she just smiled, and nodded, "Best I've ever slept in a while."

The Doctor's smile softened as he gazed down at Rebecca, "That's good to hear."

Although Rebecca was fully awake and wasn't planning on going back to sleep any time soon, she also didn't really want to move any more than she already did, perfectly comfortably in her seat in front of the large fireplace in the library.

So, she said the first thing that came to mind the moment she spotted the object in the Doctor's hands.

"Do you mind reading to me?", Rebecca blurted, wanting to snatch those words right back, as soon as she said them, and die from embarrassment.

The Doctor looked down at Rebecca taken aback, very much as surprised as she is by her own words before a soft smile appeared on his lips once more.

"Sure."