Midnight Kiss

Despite the fact that I've been in this house on more than one occasion, and sleepover, little I knew that tonight would be one I won't forget... and get no sleep!

As I said, I was having a sleep over- at my friend, Misty's house. There were 4 of us, Misty, Chloe, Rachel and myself. For most of the night, we watched movies, pillow fought once, then lie and talk about cute guys from school! Like Mark, I love his slick blonde hair, Chloe says, she likes his butt... I don't see it. But everyone is asleep now, except me... I feel, uneasy.

Then I heard heavy footsteps in the next room. Heavy, thumping footsteps.

Out of all the rooms, ALL the rooms, why was Misty's parents' room next to ours?!

The footsteps exited the room and turned left, appearing in front our door, slowing down, then carrying on as they passed. I watched as the shadow of the feet, crept under the doorway and scanned the room.

The house was still a bit noisy. As mice partying after everyone is asleep, some of the adults and Misty's relatives were carrying on conversation, that sounded of low humming and murmuring, then ever so often little, or held back laughter.

It was probably about an hour and a half, to two hours, most of the festivities had died down and people had left. There was only Misty's parents and aunt and uncle.

Somehow, I just couldn't fall asleep! I lie on the bed, staring at the ceiling, blankly... and it stared back. Light from downstairs, flowed to wherever it could reach, caressed wherever it touched, barely enough to make the room have a dim glow.

More footsteps pushed me out my thoughts. Funny how the same sound of footsteps a while back now came from the right. Then entered the adult's room.

That couldn't be Misty's father, any more to the right of the adult's room is the guest room where Misty's aunt lay for the night because she wasn't feeling well. I don't think her dad would be in there.

" Oh honey, you smell lovely, how gentleman of you to freshen up." Misty's mom giggled, and I turned up my nose in disgust.

"What is it?" she cooed.

"Musk, Russian musk."

What came after was not for my ears... not even yours! So I won't continue. I forced in my earbuds, turned the volume up to all, and eyes forced shut, trying to escape this house and reality.

The next morning, while I was brushing my teeth, I heard Misty's dad shouting through the house to his wife.

" Hon! I need cologne from the store today when you go!"

"Okay! It's Russian right?!" she shouted back.

"What?! No! It's Italian!" He responded

I nearly choked on my toothbrush.