Things Have Changed For Me

Things will change, the sooner everyone realizes that, the better for them. You get to adapt and change to suit. I started thinking about what life really was and what happens when we get older around the time I was 15.

My circle of friends at that time were; Alana- a girl that does boyish things, fair skinned, freckled face, rude mouthed... yea she was that kind of girl. Trey- muscle guy, energetic... loud! Then there was Jeremy and I- book worms, simple guys. We all practically grew up on the river bank behind our houses. 

We all first met at the age of 10; Jeremy and I already knew each other, and every evening we would meet under my apple tree to read books. We would climb the tree and pick a couple apples, wash them in the river then sit and read our books for quite sometime.

It was one Saturday midday; Jeremy and I were reading books as we so religiously did and enjoying the breeze that blew over the mountain in the distance. The only sound heard was the wind, a couple birds chirping and the silent rush of water crashing the bank as it meandered. 

Then I heard the splashing of water, we thought it was the fish on the stream playing around, but as the noise got more aggressive we looked up to see a red haired girl kicking and splashing in the river a couple meters down stream from us.

It was kinda odd what we saw, for one- it's not everyday you see a girl behaving like a boy, let alone kicking water in a river by herself. She stopped for a while, and surveyed the water with her hands over her eyes. She bent over and picked up something, something that glistened when she took it out the water- it looked like a necklace. She turned around and looked up the little slope from the river, a couple houses down;

"You idiot! I found it! I'll get you for this!" She shouted up from the river. She made her way toward the direction she made the threat, but as soon as she stepped out the river, a massive figure rushed down and tackled her. They scuffled in the water for sometime before that big mass shouted out in surrender. 

When the atmosphere had settled, The red haired girl and a black haired boy emerged from the river. They spotted the apple tree and made their way there until they saw us. They stopped and the boy commanded us to throw him a couple apples. We refused so he took up a rock and threw it our direction- it landed on Jeremy's book. 

Jeremy folded his lips in anger and took up a couple apples,

"You want apples? Here!" And Jeremy proceeded to throw the apples at them, they took up some that we threw and threw them back.

~.~

It was just before my 15th birthday, my aunt celebrated hers and I was able to sneak away a bottle of rum- The 4 of us decided to spend the evening under the apple tree and drink it. I went first, then Trey, Alana and Jeremy. 

We all felt light headed after some time, and just giggled at anything random. There was a silence among us as we all sat under the apple tree, staring sleepy eyed at the sunset in the direction that the river ran. The deep orange hue gave the atmosphere that warm feeling, the river reflecting the diluted colour making it brighter, seemingly blinding if you looked at it. The wind was calm and left the air coolly humid.

"Guys, what do you think we'll be doing in 5 years?" I asked as I slouched and rested on the tree. 

"I'll be a marriage counselor." Jeremy said. I became alert when he said this, I thought he wanted to be an editor.

"Don't you need a wife to do something like that?" Alana asked. My heart skipped a little, I was going to say something but just listened."

"Wife or not, I'm joining the army." Trey said.