Rules

Maa Begum was sitting on her sofa surrounded by attendants. As Meerab walked in she gestured for everyone to leave.

' Tou tum wapis agayi ho? Mainay Tou Murtasim say Kaha tha Kay tumhay talaaq day. Aisi begiarat Larki ko kaisay main apnay Ghar main Rakho ?

Woh larki Jo Raat ko pata Nahi kis Kay sath bhaag gayi, pata Nahi kis Kay sath Raat guzar Kar ayi hai, us Larki ko hum gaon Kay faislay karnay day?'

' Maa Begum main Kisi Kay sath Nahi bhagi thi', Meerab tried to explain.

' Tou phir Kahan thi ? Kya Kar rahi thi. Humaray Ghar ki larkiyan Tou chaddar Kay baghair Ghar say Nahi jati aur ek tum ho Raat ko pata Nahi kis rickshay walay Kay sath ghoom Rahi thi.

Waqas nay meri tarbiyat per ungli uthayi thi ? Marium Tou phir bhi us larkay say Shaadi Karna chahti thi. Aur ek tum ho Shaadi shuda hotay way bhi kisi gair mard Kay sath ghoom Rahi ho' Maa Begum yelled.

Meerab was crying badly now, she had not realised how her actions would reflect on her parents.

' dil to Chahta hai tumhara gala khud hi daba Doon, lekin kya karoon yay baat pehl bhi Tou Nahi sakti Kay khan Murtasim khan ki biwi dou ratoon say Ghar ki bahir thi.'

Meerab did not try to justify herself because she knew it would only make Maa Begum even angrier.

' AJ say Sara Khana tum banao gi, Sadia tum hay batay gi Kay kaisay banay ga lekin tumhari madad koi Nahi karay ga', Maa Begum ordered.

' Maa Begum mainay Tou kabhi Khana Nahi banaya hai'

'hum nay bhi kabhi Ghar say bhagi hui Larki ko wapis andar Nahi liya hai, jao meri nazron Kay samnay say. Haya is per nazr rakhna'

Meerab turned to see, Haya standing behind her with a big smile on her face.

'Jee Maa Begum ap bilkul fikr mat karain, main Meerab per poori maze rakhon gi'

She could still hear Haya laughing as she made her way to the kitchen.

True to Maa Begums word, Sadia the cook told Meerab what to do but did not help her at all.

Meerab was in the kitchen from 10 am till 1 pm in order to get lunch ready on time. She had never cut so many vegetables or grinded so many masalas and no matter how hard she tried her rotis were not perfect.

She did however manage to have the table set on time. They had some guests over today and she had been terrified that lunch would not be on time.Her heart broke when at the table Maa Begum and Haya lifted up the rotis and gave her some sarcastic smiles. Meerab was grateful that Murtasim was not here.

She nearly started crying when she realised she had to do this all over again for dinner. How would she do this everyday? How would she survive. Thankfully there would be no guests for dinner so the quantity would be less.

' Sadia hum Raat Kay khanay main biryani bana letay Hain, main aur rotiyan Nahi Bana sakti.'

' jee Bibi Ji, jaisay ap bolain.'

By the time she sat down for dinner, Meerab decided she never wanted to see biryani again. She had somehow managed to ruin the first two Biryani's and this was attempt number three that was being served.

' Kaisa hai Khana Murtasim?' , Haya asked ?

'Woh kya hai na Meerub nay banaya hai,  lekin you don't worry I have made sure that there is no fish in it this time. Lekin I can not take guarantee of taste, do dafa Tou phenk Diya lekin ab agar yay wapis banati Tou shayad hum nashtay main khatay. '

Meerab wondered if next time Haya was in the kitchen she could accidentally stab her while cutting some vegetables.

' Sahi hai Khana Haya', murtasim said as he continued eating. He did not appreciate the food or even acknowledge all the effort. Infact he seemed to be pretending that Meerab was not sitting next to him.

After being in the kitchen all day , Meerab decided to go out in garden for some fresh air. She knew Murtasim had gone into their room and she did not want to speak to him either.

When she opened the door to step outside she found a guard there,

' Bibi Ji ap bahir Nahi ja Sakti', he closed the door.

Meerab was in shock, she could not go in garden ?

' khan nay mana Kiya hai, ap ko Ghar say bahir janay ki ijazat Nahi hai', Maria the girl who had followed her around all day spoke up.

Meerab stared at her, ' garden main bhi Nahi ja Sakti?'

' maaf ki jiyay, khan nay Bola hai', the girl looked away.

Meerab walked up to her room , it was time to talk.

'kya ab mujhay bahir garden main janay Kay liyay bhi tumhari ijazat Leni hogi ?' , she questioned her husband who was lounging on bed.

Murtasim looked up from his phone, ' ab Tou sans lainay Kay liyay bhi ijazat laini hogi Meeeab'.

' I noticed Kay my phone is not here either', Meerab had left her phone in the room when she has run, but on coming back had not been able to find it.

' meray pass hai'

' so am I a prisoner now ? Kya ab mama Baba say baat karnay Kay liyay bhi permission laini hogi?'

' Meerab tum nay Jo Kiya hai us ki saza hai yay, Ghar main phone hai tum Waqas chacha ko us say phone karlo. You don't need to talk to your friends' , he was sitting up now glaring at her.

' what do you want from me ?', she asked desperately. ' mujhay wapis kyun lay?'

Murtasim walked up to her and caressed her face, ' kyun Kay tum meri ho Meerab , just mine. Yay Shaadi Nahi tootay gi, is khandan main divorce Nahi Hoti.

He pulled her closer, ' I want you to focus on us, bhul jao sab Kuch. Meray sath hi Zindagi guzarni hai.'

She looked up at him horrified.

' shhh Meerab, there's no need to cry', he wiped away her tears.

' tum Woh Karo Jo main kehta hoon and sab Kuch theek ho jay ga', he slowly led her towards their bed.

' Maa Begum nay mujh say Aj' , she tried to complain.

' I know Meerab lekin Galti Kari hai Tou saza bhi milay gi, it will get better slowly', he kissed her forehead as he pulled her into his arms.

' sojao Meerab, it's been a long day for you'

' mujhay phone wapis day do please Murtasim please'

'Meerab mainay tumhari har baat Mani thi and I have seen the consequences of that. From now on baby it's my rules and you don't want to make me more angry hmmm' he picked up his phone again dismissing her.

Meerab cried herself to sleep wondering what other rules she would have to face in this prison now. He had brought her admission papers before but that ship has sailed now she could not even step out of the house.

Please vote and comment if you liked it