Chapter Nine

TW- This chapter is going to contain a lot of dark themes. 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"So, you're going to be the next Charms Professor?" Derric asked excitedly as the trio departed the great hall after breakfast. 

"Not necessarily," Grey shrugged, "But I'll be working with Elks and getting paid so it'll be a proper job."

"That's excellent Grey!" Richard exclaimed, patting him on the back.

"Professor Willow - it has a good ring to it."

Grey chuckled at Derric's comment.

"At least you're finally free of that orphanage," Richard added with a smile.

Grey had neglected to write to Richard as he had planned but he did finish Frankenstein. He'd gone to meet the two off the train and had the rundown of their holidays. For Derric, it had been quidditch matches and wizard parties, and for Richard, a simple muggle Christmas. Grey had made sure to thank Richard privately for the gift so as not to make Derric feel bad for not knowing. 

"I'll see you two at lunch," Derric shouted breathlessly as he hurried up the stairs toward the divination tower. 

Both boys waved before Grey also began to veer subtly toward the stairs. He was hoping to give Richard the slip but his friend was far too astute.

"Transfiguration is this way," Richard observed accusingly. 

"I was going to give this one a miss." Grey shrugged stoically.

Richard did not look pleased.

"It's the first day of term."

He didn't care if it was the first day of anything, there was no way he was going to go near Dumbledore. 

"I'll meet you in defense against the dark arts." Grey insisted, peeling away from the disappointed Slytherin. 

"Grey!"

But he ignored the frustrated comment, hurrying up the stairs back to his common room. During the hour, Grey made sure to study his transfiguration coursework. His current distaste for Dumbledore did not mar his academic drive and when the time came for defense against the dark arts, he made sure to leave so he'd arrive on time. 

Quite fairly, Richard was reserved towards him during Professor Merrythought's introduction to shield charms. He barely spared Grey a second glance as they took notes on the proper wand movement for the defensive charm. In fact, the first word he spoke to Grey was when they were paired together, practicing deflecting spells. In Grey's case, it was a particularly fast leg-locking jinx from Richard, which he failed to block. 

"I suppose I deserved that." He huffed, as he hopped on the spot, waiting for his friend to unjinx him. 

"Yes, you did," Richard confirmed, freeing him with a flick of his wand. 

Grey sighed, firing a bat bogey hex which Richard expertly deflected. 

"I'm sorry."

"I'm not mad at you for leaving me, I'm irritated because you never tell me why."

Biting the inside of his cheek, Grey just about managed to deflect his friend's hex.

"It's complicated." Grey tried to reason. 

Richard just rolled his eyes. 

They spent the rest of the lesson in tense silence. 

As they made their way to lunch, another headache was forming at the back of Grey's skull. Even though he wanted to dash away and inflict his usual remedy, Grey couldn't bring himself to abandon Richard for the second time that day.