Chapter Twenty-Two

TW - self-harm

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Grey's arms stung. 

Two miserable days had passed since the incident in the library and Grey had not seen Richard. The anxiety was almost debilitating. Of course, he blamed himself entirely. So when his wand was returned, he busied himself with the old practice of burning patches on his arms. 

From morning till night, Grey stayed in the sitting room. He hardly ate anything, unable to stomach Queenie's food on top of the constant worry that had settled inside. Despite his frequent questions, no one would tell him how Richard was. 

Grindelwald hadn't called for him yet, instead, he'd left Grey a stack of books to study 'in preparation'. Due to the constant supervision presided over by Abernathy, he daren't disobey. He was more than a little confused when the first thing he was ordered to read was an extract from a children's book - The Tales of Beedle The Bard. Grey knew The Story of The Three Brothers well enough, having read it in his youth.

Yet, every other book he was given seemed to expand upon the fictional Deathly Hallows from the story. All the authors spoke of them as if they were real and Grey found himself wondering if Grindelwald fed into their delusions. 

However, staying focused on his studies was becoming increasingly difficult. His separation from Richard was unbearable and on top of it, Grey's thoughts would often wander to Dumbledore. How a man as wise as him, could love someone like Grindelwald was confusing. But then he'd remind himself just how complicated love was. Grey was sure that heartbreak and betrayal had birthed Grindelwald's hatred for Dumbledore but, he could not see what caused it. By the dark wizard's words, it was due to the violence that his professor had displayed that fatal night when he murdered his sister. But Grey was still struggling to believe such a thing had happened. But, Grindelwald had been right. Though he'd skirted the truth, Grey was confident he hadn't lied. 

It was like his mind was at war. And in the space between the madness, Grey just thought of Derric. He missed the quiet days of friendship when none of this mattered. Sometimes, he'd even imagine that the boy sat across from him, alive and smiling, to spare him from the loneliness. Sure, it hurt, but when had he ever cared about pain? Besides, it was better than acknowledging the reptile man. 

Sometime after lunch on that second day, Grey felt a headache coming on. He'd already mentally prepared himself for the next time this happened and accepted that complying with Grindelwald was the only way to keep Richard safe. Looking up from his book, Grey made eye contact with the staring form of the reptile man. 

"I'm about to have a vision." He stated emotionlessly. 

An expression of excitement overtook the reptile man's features. 

"I'll summon your father," He hissed.

Repulsion radiated through Grey as he watched the reptile man scrawl a note and enchant it to fly to its intended recipient. Not two minutes later, Grindelwald apparated into the room.  

"How are you enjoying your reading?" He inquired, taking a seat beside him. 

Grey resisted the urge to respond sarcastically or shy away from the man.

"It's fine." He blankly replied. 

His headache intensified. 

"Good," Grindelwald stated, "Because today, I want you to focus on The Hallows, understand?"

"Yes, Far."

Grindelwald smiled.

"Specifically, picture the resurrection stone and the cloak of invisibility."