Loud Noises and Warm Hands

(Date of edit: 2024/7/8)

-x-

First stop was at a gas station for both your car and to get something for Sun to eat. They looked so fragile under their soaked clothings, perfectly outlining the jagged bones of their shoulders. Were they deprived of a healthy source of food? Deprived of food at all? Maybe it was just their race's body form, where they are lean and lithe and cannot gain weight easily...? Maybe because of their genes...?

Are you trying to find a better explanation to swallow other than the obvious signs of starvation?

That would be a better option, at the moment, to stop the tension in your muscles because of your spite.

You do not want to scare them. Your anger will have to be muffled.

Parking the car, you turn to Sun as the Android manning the station readies close to your window. "Hey, Sun, what kind of food do you eat?" Hopefully something that they sell in this small gas station...

The blond flinched, averting their gaze from the colorful lights to you. A frown fell on their face as if the words themselves had offended him. Because, how could they be hungry at this time after their situation? After they were drenched in cold water and had ended up throwing whatever they had in their stomach at the time... after they were shocked into a state of exhaustion—into a state where they barely are able to hold themselves upright while sitting down...

How could they?

"I'm not hungry." Sun says in a soft mumble, their voice hoarse and shaky still. They aren't. They do not want to eat...

As if sarcastic and cunning, their stomach gives a growl in answer making Sun jolt and hug themselves close, lips pulled into a deeper, embarrassed frown. You aren't sure what to make of it as their eyes gathered tears, and they shake and try so hard not to let them fall down their face. Hunger pain is like a black hole in someone's core, where their insides feel like they would eat themselves if it meant survival.

Have they gone too long with little food that they became acclimated to it?

At last, they just shrug, not meeting your gaze. You wait but they give no further answer.

"Sun?"

"Human food isn't bad." They mumble, hand tugging at their shirt.

You nod. "Alright, dear. I'll take a minute." With this you exit the car, saying a quick hello to the Android filling your car, then head inside the small store. Your shoes were still wet, your toes aching slightly inside, but you are glad to have taken the ones that don't soak water in like a sponge. They have, at least, dried enough not to leave puddles of water behind.

You cannot say much about your clothes nor hair... another thing for a later date.

A bell rings singling your entry, attracting the cashier to look up before focusing back on their phone. You speed walk through the halls, picking quick things in your way. If neither had eaten in a while then it'd be bad to suddenly eat something heavy, so you went with a few sandwiches and juice boxes. Good for now, you still need to get them to a hospital and then deal with everything else.

Now... why are you even doing any of that? You are pretty aware that most people will not go to the extremes you had, especially with no payment.

You pause for a second.

"That was a stupid question." You mumble to yourself as you head back to the cashier. And, as your mama said, she had raised dignified people and not bitches. You laugh quietly and fondly at the memory of her words.