Snow White

-x-

-x-

Sun and Moon never actually thought they'd be able to speak to her again. As much as they can speak to the dead, that is. It had been so long, maybe a whole decade since they last been here.

Does her daughter visit her anymore? As much as she seemed to care about her mother, she was always quite distant—always choosing her own happiness over anybody else's. They guess people sometimes have to be a little selfish, but they also believe that a loved one should never be forgotten, whether dead or alive.

They have heard one time that the dead can feel the sadness of those who love them. Especially when it comes to crying. They said it makes the dead ache for those they cannot reach for. This information made Sun and Moon try their hardest not to cry when they remember her—in the past, at least, before their memories began to fuzz out and disappear.

So, when they crouched down in front of the all too familiar grave, they fought hard against the tears that breached their eyes. They freed a hand to clear some snow from the grave, making the name written on it peek out clearer. Their small hand lingered on the cold stone, fingers twitching lightly as their eyes stared ahead at nothing, too lost in thought.

It felt a little unreal. It was as if yesterday they had been just sleeping on their grandm—owner's bed, snuggling against her. It felt as if yesterday they were just eight, so lost and confused and scared.

And now... now they are sitting on their knees in front of her grave. They wished they had ever told her how much they appreciated her—how much her presence in their life made it easier. And, they guess, they somewhat can now. It is different from when she was alive, but she is listening nonetheless.

Sun opens his mouth before closing it just as fast.

He wished they could merge together. He knew they could. Despite the fact he has no memory of when the last time he was able to merge with Moon as one, they still know that they could—should. They should be able to, yet, for some reason, their mind wouldn't let them. They knew they could—it wasn't just some delusion. They have seen their ID, they have seen their picture printed on it. They were so young... and they were merged as one. Fearful white eyes stared back at the camera, the shock collar snug against their neck.

It has always been there, hasn't it?

Not to mention, multiple times the shelter wanted to retake their ID picture but were unable to because Sun and Moon couldn't merge together. They were punished, the shelter guards thinking it was some kind of ploy to fool someone that this isn't them—it was a stupid idea, but Moon believes the guards were never smart to begin with. It didn't stop them from being punished for it.

The last time this happened was with Mrs. Lawrence. She saw their ID and asked for the shelter to retake the picture for a newer one.

It did not go well.