Seven

When Chicago woke up the next day he could tell he slept way beyond he normally would. He just kept laying in bed and stared at his curtains not having the energy to wake up. But eventually he did, brushing his teeth and taking a shower. He pulled on white sweatpants and drew on a black hoodie. Brooklyn weather was a bitch these days.

As soon as he approached the kitchen Igor's eyes were on him, making him slightly nervous because he knew what was coming and he dreaded it.

"Where were you last night?" Igor asked the million dollar question.

Chicago glanced at Igor's plate and he was having a bacon and egg sandwich.

"Did you make some for me? Please tell me you made some for me," he pleaded, avoiding Igor's question.

"In the microwave," Igor responded pointing at the microwave.

Chicago beamed, walking towards the microwave and his eyes lit up when he saw the sandwich. He pulled the plate out and took a bite of one half of the sandwich, liking the sour sauce Igor put in there. He then went on to make his coffee.

"I tried waiting up for you last night but you took long to come back. Where were you?" Igor asked again, before biting into his last half of the sandwich.

Chicago's shoulders grew tense, before drawing a deep breath and releasing it as he poured the coffee in his mug. He turned around slowly and looked at Igor.

"My errand took longer than I thought," he answered simply, before going back to attending to his food.

Igor hummed as he stared at Chicago suspiciously. But he knew better than to pry. He was not here to investigate Chicago and quite frankly he didn't wish to know about that other side of Chicago's life. It's one thing to know you're sleeping with the devil, but it's another thing to witness the devil at work and then sleeping with him. Igor doubt he would be able to, so playing oblivious was better than playing an investigative journalist.

"Did you find out anything else about Kendrick McKenzie? I'd get Diana to look into it, but her and her team moved to Los Angeles two years back," he informed.

"Los Angeles?"

"They work with the big boys now. She has no time for side pieces," he said.

"What big boys?" Chicago snorted as if he did not believe that.

Igor shrugged, not because he didn't know but because he didn't feel like talking about it and Chicago could tell from the bored expression as he ate his sandwich from the other side of the counter.

"So Kendrick?"

"Xavier is still working on it. But he did say it's seems there was a lot in Micaela also known as Rosette than what meets the eye. He himself sounded interested in knowing more about her. So, I guess you got yourself an interesting case study," he said nonchalantly.

"So, who is Xavier? Your new Neo?"

Chicago paused his chewing, his gaze remaining down on his hands that were still holding the sandwich. It's literally like he just froze in time.

"I'm sorry," Igor apologized. "That's not what I meant. I meant, is he the new guy you're working with now?"

Chicago nodded in understanding placing the sandwich down and picking up his mug to take a sip. He still appeared a little rattled but slowly he was recovering.

"I know. I just haven't heard his name in years," he said, feeling slightly guilty for not even visiting his grave ever since he came out. He could not bring himself to do so. The pain was still deep. "Xavier is too good of a kid to be involved in this bullshit. He deserves a shot in life," he said and then looked up at Igor. "I have Greg for that," he added.