Sixteen

Chicago woke up early the next day and chose to sit on the couch, nibbling  the tip of his thumb. His mind was flooded with thoughts that twisted his guts. The two times they had an encounter their ending was not good. He hoped this time around they can at least be civil. Perhaps, he should start off with an apology. Chicago groaned, swiping his hand down his face. Maybe, he should keep it short and simple.

He jumped slightly when he heard a throat being cleared. His eyes looked around to see the sun rays piercing through his glass balcony door. He turned his head around to see Igor standing by the entrance to the conjoined kitchen and living room. He was wearing grey sweatpants and a white t-shirt, his bare feet touching the cold white tiles.

Chicago stood up and walked slowly around the couch, and perched on the couch's headrest. The two men just stared at each other as if none of them wanted to disturb the silence.

"About last night..."

"I don't want to talk about last night. I don't talk about the job after the job," Chicago cut in, making Igor to sigh and nod.

He also didn't want to talk about it but the silence was daunting.

"I'm sorry," Chicago blurted, catching Igor off guard as his grey eyes snapped to Chicago's dark ones. "I'm sorry for the pain I caused you, Igor. For what is worth, you were the best thing to have ever crossed my path," he breathed and looked away.

"I want you to be happy. When you walk out this door I want you to never look back. To never return. Do you hear me?" He asked in a small voice as he looked deep in Igor's eyes.

"Chicago, I..."

"I want you to forget about me. I won't look for you. I won't disturb your life. I give you that promise. Just be happy, Igor. Do you understand?" He asked again.

Igor covered the distance between them, and stopped a few centimetres away. He tried to take a hold of Chicago's hands but Chicago yanked his hands away.

"Chicago, please..." He began trying to hold his hands again but Chicago kept dodging and cut him off as soon as he started speaking.

"I want you to go and pack your things. I want you to walk out that door and claim your life back. I need you to forget about me! All of me! Do you hear me, Igor?" He said quickly, as he keeps swatting Igor's hands that were determined to capture his own.

"Tell me you understand!" He screamed, finally shoving Igor's chest when Igor didn't stop trying to hold his hands.

Igor gripped his shoulders firmly.

"Can you listen to me! I need you to shut up, and listen to me!" Igor yelled, shaking Chicago slightly.

Chicago blinked, snapping out of his tantrum and just stared dumbly at Igor.

"Chicago, I know you said I should not try to save you. But I see the good in you and I need you to stop being scared because I'm here. I'll always be here..."

"Don't be," Chicago muttered as if pleading.

"Allow me to be here for you, Cago. You can change, I know you can," he pleaded.

"I can't," Chicago muttered again, shaking his head.

"Why not?" Igor asked, but when Chicago just oggled at him, he sighed and took a step back.

He paced up and down, gripping his hair in frustration. He then walked back towards Chicago who was still staring at him.

"Remember when you asked me if I was in love with Rosette?" He asked and when Chicago nodded his head with a frown, he continued. "I loved her..."