The Family/The Standoff (Chapter 13)

Welp, today I have to talk to Jocelyne. This is gonna be awkward. I mean, she did walk in on me and Paige doing the do. Ugh, being a teenager is even difficult in the zombie apocalypse. But hey, at least me, Paige, and Jocelyne met this way, so it isn't so bad.

Anyways, it's better if I talk to Jocelyne as soon as possible.

"Zoey, Paige, Jocelyne, get down here!" Lilly yelled at us. It must be serious. Jocelyne will have to wait.

I rush downstairs to see that Jocelyne and Paige are already there, along with Lilly and 3 other people.

"Please, help us." One of the three said. She was an older woman, maybe about 40. The other 2 with her are a little boy, and a teenage boy. The woman was carrying the little boy who was asleep in her arms.

"What seems to be the problem?" Jocelyne asked the woman.

"My kids and I ran out of food a few days back, we need food." The woman said, clutching her kid in her arms tighter.

"Well too bad!"

I quickly turned my head to see who said that.

It was John, with his hands still tied together, but he somehow managed to break free from the chair. My face probably looked like a combination of shock, disgust, and anger.

"We don't even know who these people are! they could be spies or cannibals! Or even totally fucked up!" John bellowed.

"You should be the one to talk." I said back, bitterly.

Jocelyne walked up to him and kicked him back down the stairs.

"AND stay down there!" She yelled

"As much as I hate his guts for what he did, he does have a point. We don't know who these people are, Zoey." Lilly said to me.

The teen boy shot a look of anger at Lilly, but she didn't see it.

"But he could be wrong! They could just be a family that needs help! We won't know unless we let them in!" Paige said, loud and proud.

"I'm not getting involved in this. I don't want to make the wrong decision. It's up to you, Zoey." Jocelyne said.

I understand where she is coming from. What am I supposed to do? I can't leave them out there, but they could be dangerous! Paige is my Girlfriend, but Lilly is my best friend! What do I do?!

I look at Lilly, then Paige, then the woman and her teenage son. Then I look at the little boy.

"I've made up my mind. Come on in, we'll help you." I said to the woman and her family.

"Thank you!" The woman said, stepping inside.

"No problem, but you don't mind if we check you for weapons first, do you?"

"Of course not. Go right ahead."

The woman sets her youngest son down.

I check the woman, Paige checks the teenage boy, and Lilly checks the little boy.

"All good!" Us three say at the same time.

"Thank you so much!" The woman says again.

"No problem. I know what it's like to be starving." I say.

"Come on, let's get you something to eat." I say to the family.

"Hold on, let me go wake up my brother." The teenage boy says.

"Come on, Emileo! We can finally eat!" The teenage boy said.

Emileo woke up and stretched from his slumber.