New Places (Chapter 4)

* 3 days after the bandit attack *

I'm glad that we got rid of those bandits, but I hate that I sacrificed our electricity.

Lilly and I have had to be more cautious during the night because we can't see if anything comes up anymore. We've decided to take 4 hour shifts. I'm doing my shift now and I only have an hour left before I wake up Lilly. I'm so tired, I could fall asleep on a bed of nails and it would be comfy.

*1 hour later*

Time to wake Lilly up.

"Lilly, get up. It's your shift now."

"Uhhhh...." She says zombie-like. It scares me.

"Please don't do that again, you almost gave me a damn heart attack!" I say.

Lilly gets up, takes her shift, and I immediately fall asleep.

"Gggggaaaaagggghhhhh" something gargles.

I quickly open my eyes and see that it's daylight outside. I see a zombie closing in on Lilly, less than five feet away.

"LILLY, GET UP, ZOMBIE!" I scream at her.

She snaps her eyes open. As she does, the zombie falls on top of her and starts trying to bite her.

"ZOEY, HELP!" She screams.

I grab a knife on my belt and run over to her and stab the zombie in the head.

She immediately pushes it off of her and catches her breath. She looks relieved.

"Thanks for saving my ass. That walker almost got me."

There it is again. Walker. It sounds weird.

"No problem." I say back, glad that I got there in time.

I look at the store and see that it isn't doing so well. We're almost out of food. I don't want to say it, but we have to leave.

"Lilly..." I say, in a sad tone.

"I know, I was thinking the same thing. Pack whatever you can. We're leaving. We can't keep putting ourselves in danger like this." Lilly said.

We pack what's important and leave the store.