An Old Friend (Chapter 2)

My landing was soft and painless, like I landed on a cloud.

I got up and looked at what had softened my landing.

It was a mattress truck.

This entire time, the first door was blocked by a mattress truck.

I started looking at my surroundings. It's clear. No zombie in sight. Weird.

I start walking to the store to see if there are any supplies. It's a 10 minute walk, but I have no food so I need to hurry.

I reach the store safely and see that the windows are boarded up. But one thing stands out.

The electricity is on.

I open the door to the store and see it completely empty with lots of food!

I immediately start packing food into my backpack and start to think about how it all went wrong.

We had walls, food, weapons. Everyone was happy. But we had one rule: Never turn anyone away.

That was our downfall. We took in two groups who turned out to be bandits. They took over the town. One of them got bitten but hid it, which ended up starting the infection in the city. People tried to evacuate, but it was futile. The bandits pushed everyone back into the city that wasn't useful. To the bandits, women and children weren't useful, so they left me and my mother here. My mom got bitten saving me, and I still miss her. She would want me to survive, so I am. I will li-

"HANDS UP!" A woman's voice told me, a gun held to the back of my head.

I put my hands up and turned around to see who it was.

"LILLY!" I screamed.

Lilly was the owner of the store. She told me she was with a previous group before, but they left her on the road and drove away in an RV.

"Zoey? Oh shit, I'm sorry. I didn't recognize you. Did you dye your hair? I thought it was black, not blonde."

She was right, I did dye my hair. My mother's hair was blonde, so I dye it whenever I find blonde dye to remember her. The only other things I have left are my memories.

"Yeah" I say.

"It looks nice. Oh god, look at you, you're bone skinny! You hungry?" Lilly said with a concerned look on her face.

I nod really fast. She takes me to the back of  the store and took out a large pot and started making a kind of soup.

I enjoyed it, having a full stomach for the first time in a week.

For the first time since the downfall of Granite City, I feel safe.