New Faces (Chapter 5)

It's been 2 months since Lilly and I left the store behind. We are doing okay. We still have lots of food and water, but the ground is covered in snow and we're almost out of ammo. We each have 2 clips in our guns left, which isn't a lot.

"Zoey, over there." Lilly pointed to a large building that looked abandoned. At least we'll be out of this goddamn snow.

As we entered the building, I noticed that it was warm. Very warm.

"Lilly, hide!" I whispered

I hid inside a closet while Lilly hid in a box.

A man and a woman came around the corner. The woman looked older than the man by at least 10 years.

"Jocelyne, quieres comer?"

"No, I don't want anything to eat, thanks for asking though, John."

That's weird, he speaks Spanish while she speaks English. They must understand each other but not speak the opposite language.

I came out of the closet and raised my pistols (I found another pistol last month) at both of them.

"How many of you are there?"

They both turned around and raised their hands on the air.

"Just us two!" Jocelyne said.

"Lilly, come out."

Lilly raised the box off of her head.

"Please, we are not bad people. What is it you want? We'll give it to you!" Jocelyne said.

"We're looking for people for a group as well as a place to stay for tonight." I said, lowering the pistols.

They smiled.

"Gracias."

"Thank you." They both said at the same time.

"Sorry about that, my name is Zoey. I know who you guys are from the conversation we were listening to."

"How long have you guys been here?" Lilly asked.

"About 3 days. We have a calendar actually. We've been keeping track of the date. Today is Monday, December 22nd. Christmas is in 3 days." Jocelyne said.

Christmas. The last Christmas memory I have is when last year Mom let me get a Tattoo. It's on my back and it's a heart with Me, Mom's and Dad's names on it. What I wouldn't give to see them again.

"Zoey!" Lilly said, shaking me out of my memory.

"Sorry, just lost in a memory." I said.

"Look, over there." Lilly pointed with her gun.

It was a girl. She looked my age. She was pretty. Her hair was the most peculiar shade of black, and she was wearing leather pants, a shirt with a leather jacket, steel-toe boots, and leather gloves. She was trying to be stealthy but it didn't work.

"STOP!" I yelled at her.

She stopped and looked at me. Her eyes were purple.

"What's your name, and have you helped anyone?

"My name is Paige. I've been helping kids find their parents with strong groups. Right now I'm looking for my own group."

"Join mine, we're friendly I promise." I said, smiling.

"Thanks, I mean it." She said back, smiling as well.

She came in, I introduced her to everyone, and then we ate.