Bonding 2 (Chapter 8)

Paige has been more distant of me, like she's scared of me. I miss talking to her at night. I feel like she wants to be alone though, so I'm not going to bother her.

John has been doing well with his English. He can practically speak it fluently. I feel happy for him. He and Jocelyne have been able to talk in English now. He doesn't even sound like he has an accent!

"Hey Zoey, how ya doing?" John asked me.

"I've actually been kinda depressed lately." I said.

"Do you mind telling me why?" He asked politely.

"I've been thinking about my Mom and Dad a lot lately." I lied

Well, I half lied.

"Hey let me take you somewhere. I've gotta talk to you about some stuff." He said.

"Okay." I said.

We walked until we reached a building that was weirdly a bakery mixed with a karate dojo.

"Why are we here, John?" I asked

"This is where I grew up. I know karate and how to bake." he said.

"My parents were killed in a car accident when I was ten so I know what you're going through. I was orphaned since I had no other family. I was with my foster family until i went to college. I met Jocelyne there, and we've been best friends ever since. She was with me when this all started, and she's still with me even now. She was studying to become a master chef. But that never happened. The world went to hell and we were devastated. I headed here to find my foster family. and I found them. They were walkers." He started crying.

"Jocelyne did it for me." he whispered.

I let him be for a few minutes and went to look in the back to see if i could find any supplies.

"John, can you bake me a cake?" I asked him, shouting from the back.

"Sure." He answered, seeming to have gotten himself together.

After we baked the cake, we headed back to our base.

"Paige." I called.

She tried to get away, but I backed her into a corner.

"Calm down, I just made a cake for you. Do you not like cake?"  I said.

She stared at me for a minute, and then she started crying.

"We need to talk." I told her.

She nodded and we went to the roof of the building.

"Why have you been avoiding me?" I asked her.

"I don't want to say." She said, looking panicked with every word.

"Paige, tell me now." I said with dominance.

"FINE! I'M A LESBIAN, ALRIGHT!? I'M A LESBIAN AND I WAS SCARED YOU WOULDN'T TALK TO ME ANYMORE! JUST LIKE MY GRANDMA!" She screamed at me.

I was shocked that she had yelled at me.

"Paige, I'm fine with you being a lesbian!" I said.

She then started crying tears of joy and hugged me for a long time.

"Z- Zoey." Paige said quietly.

"Yeah?" Zoey said.

She leaned her face close to mine.

She put her finger near my eye and brushed away an eyelash that was stuck on my face.

"That was bothering me." She said with a smile.

I'm happy that Paige told me and I'm glad we're talking again. I don't know what I'd do without her.