01

𝗰𝗵𝗮𝗽𝘁𝗲𝗿 𝗼𝗻𝗲 / ❛ it's my sanctuary ❜

[ episode two, back in black ]

Marlee Bishop's sneakers slapped against the pavement as she chased her little brother through the bustling streets of the Valley. "Ryder, I sweat to god, I'm gonna snap your neck in half!" she shouted, her voice cutting through the summer heat. Ryder, thirteen years old and a bundle of energy, ignored her as usual, darting between pedestrians with a mischievous grin.

Marlee groaned in frustration. It was supposed to be a simple trip to buy Ryder a can of Pepsi, but he had turned it into a wild chase. She picked up her pace, her shirt clinging to her in the humidity. As she rounded a corner, she collided with a solid figure, nearly losing her balance.

"Watch it!" the boy said, his voice sharp. Marlee looked up to see a tall, lean figure with a striking blue mohawk staring down at her.

"Who the hell are you?" she blurted out without thinking, catching her breath. She had never see this guy around before, and she knew the valley from start to end.

"The name's Hawk," he replied coolly, Marlee furrowing her eyebrows at the name. "And you? Or is it just Lana" he referenced to her Lana Del Ray shirt.

"Marlee," she said, still a bit dazed. "Sorry about that. My brother—"

"Is right here," Ryder interrupted, appearing beside her with a grin. "Hi"

Hawk's smirk softened just a touch as he looked at Ryder. "You should keep a better eye on your sister, kid."

Marlee raised an eyebrow, intrigued despite herself. "Alright, well I'm gonna take this dickwad home" she spoke nudging ruder with her elbow.

"Do that," Hawk said, his eyes lingering on her for a moment longer before he turned and walked away.

As Ryder chuckled beside her, Marlee found herself wondering about this new version of the boy she vaguely remembered from school, if it was even him.

Marlee sat at her desk in her room, the gentle glow of string lights casting a warm ambiance. She dipped her brush into a palette of acrylic paints, finding solace in the rhythmic strokes as colors blended on the canvas.

A knock on her door startled her out of her thoughts. "Come in," she called, setting her brush down.

Ryder pushed the door open, a mischievous grin on his face. "You okay, Mars?"

Marlee sighed softly. "Yeah, I'm fine. Just trying to paint"

Ryder sauntered in, glancing at the canvas. "Cool. Hey, who's Hawk?"

Marlee hesitated, her eyebrows furrowing. "Just someone from school, Moon's boyfriend. Why?"

"He seemed cool," Ryder commented with a shrug, then smirked and added, "Unlike me, huh?"

Marlee chuckled. "You can be a handful sometimes, but I guess you're okay."

Ryder grinned and put up his middle finger before turning to leave. "Later, Mar."