Part 11

Boredom can be caused by a number of factors, but the most common is being stuck in a repetitive or monotonous experience. We can notice this almost anywhere, from tedious tasks at work and studying to waiting in line at the supermarket. But in Stella's case, her boredom is because she's been stuck in this hospital bed for four weeks. The past four weeks have passed by as slowly as a turtle walking across the street, if not slower than a turtle.

Stella was going crazy; she knew that being hospitalized was the best solution for her, especially with her preeclampsia and carrying twins. But she was driving herself insane with boredom. She was constantly getting visitors; her firehouse family was there every day, including the days they were on shift. They were always stopping by with books, food, flowers, and puzzles; Capp even brought her an adult coloring book. Which did calm her down a bit. Cindy made sure she got a home-cooked meal instead of the nasty hospital food.

She and Kelly played board games and card games; they put puzzles together; they talked about baby names; and they went online and registered for the babies' items. Kelly practically lives at the hospital with her.

She grabbed the magazine that Brett dropped off last night and started flipping through it. She'd already read it four times, but there was nothing else to do.

"Are you up for a visitor?" The voice said.

Stella looks up from the magazine; her eyes widen, and she smiles. "Of course, I didn't know you were coming."

"Well, it was a last-minute decision." She said this as she hugged her. "I didn't even tell my son."

"He's going to be happy; he went to get my strawberry peanut butter peach smoothie." Jennifer gave her a weird look. "The babies love it." She laughs.

"If you say so," Jennifer replied, smiled, and touched Stella's belly. "I can't believe I'm going to be a grandma of twins."

Stella sighs: "I'm still wrapping my head around having twins. I was worried about handling one baby; now I've got two to take care of."

Jennifer squeezed her hand. "You guys are going to rock parenthood; these are some lucky babies."

"Thank you," Stella replied. It meant a lot to hear Jennifer say that.

"So, Kelly was very vague about your situation. I know about the pre-eclampsia, but explain to me about the other baby they didn't see till four weeks ago."

Stella nods. "So basically, at first, Dr. Asher thought it was twin-to-twin transfusion syndrome, one of the most common conditions affecting monochorionic twins, identical twins who share one placenta. However, not all monochorionic twin pregnancies with unequal fluid levels or different-sized twins have twin-to-twin transfusion syndrome. These characteristics can also be seen in a condition called unequal placental sharing."

"Unequal placental sharing is what you have, right?" Jennifer asked as she rubbed Stella's belly.

" Yes."

"What exactly is that?"

"When two fetuses share one placenta, their umbilical cords may implant anywhere; there is no set or predictable pattern. Depending on where they implant, one twin may get a smaller share of the placenta than the other, resulting in less blood flow and nutrition for one fetus and more for the other. This is called unequal placental sharing." She took a breath. "As a result, the twins may grow differently. The "normal" twin typically has normal or generous, but not excessive, amniotic fluid levels. The smaller twin may have either normal amniotic fluid volume or if its growth becomes progressively restricted, can develop low fluid levels, called oligohydramnios."