Chapter 13: Sweet Kicks

Benny Choi's Runway Show

Zarathos, Lucifer, and Maze sit in the front row

Zarathos, Lucifer, and Maze sit in the front row. Watching the models walk the runway.

Lucifer: I very much approve of Benny's avant-garde approach to clothing. The models don't appear to be wearing any.

Maze: The Benny Choi brand isn't about clothes. It's the shoes. These guys kill for limited-edition kicks. Six G's a pair.

Zarathos: Six Gs !? But they're just shoes? I don't get how or why humans put so much value into such meaningless objects.

Lucifer: (Chuckles) You don't? Maze, remind me how much money did Zara spend on repairs and maintenance on his car and bike last month alone?

Maze: (Smirks) Combine? Let me think. I'm pretty sure it was close to thirty Gs.

Zarathos: That's different.

Lucifer: How?

Zarathos: Because... it just is!

Lucifer: (Sarcastic) Right, whatever you say brother.

A model with a saber blade stops and moves it across Lucifer.

Lucifer: Oh, hello. Mmm, dangerous. Lucifer likes.

Maze: You were shot and you bled. No sharp objects until we find out why.

Lucifer: Oh, quite the opposite. The danger of getting hurt's positively thrilling. Fun with mortality. Bring it.

Zarathos: You're taking this way too lightly Luci. We still don't know why or how you were able to get hurt like that.

Lucifer: I told you before brother, I'm fine. It was hardly a flesh wound.

Zarathos: A flesh wound that shouldn't have been possible.

Lucifer: Oh please, like you never bled when you got shot before.

Zarathos: Yeah, but those bullets were 30-06 M2AP, which were made to pierce armor steel. You were shot with a 9mm. See the difference?

Lucifer: Yes and I don't really care. Now if you two will excuse me, I'm gonna go and have some fun.

Lucifer gets up and follows the model behind the stage.

Maze: Since when does the Devil care about mortality?

Zarathos: Not sure, but it isn't natural and it's starting to piss me off how nonchalant he's being about this.

Maze: What are we gonna do about this?

Zarathos: Working on it. For now, let's make sure he doesn't get himself killed.

Maze: You make sound easy, you know how he is.