Chapter 32

My gaze shifted between the pie and the ring in my hand, which I didn't want to set down. Micah noticed my dilemma and asked, "why don't you wear my ring?"

I smiled and put it on my thumb, but it was too big and didn't fit me. I frowned as I knew it would fall off while I tried to eat.

"Let us feed you Princess, you can still play with Micah's ring while we do." Firosa offered and I nodded yes, immediately going back to playing with the ring.

Firosa took the pie off my lap, and I barely noticed since I was so mesmerized by Micah's ring.

I heard the fork lightly scrape against the plate and I frowned as I disliked the noise. Micah knew I didn't like it and kissed my head to distract me.

I went back to playing with his ring, but I felt something lightly tap my lips. I opened my mouth and tasted apple pie, which immediately made me extremely happy.

Unfortunately the pie was burning hot and I yelped as it burnt my tongue. Micah quickly moved his hand and offered it in front of my mouth. I didn't understand what he was doing and let out a whimper as my mouth continued to burn.

Micah put his hand over my mouth and easily opened it, sticking two of his fingers in and scooping out the pie. I breathed a sigh of relief and he popped the pie into his mouth.

Firosa asked me, "are you alright darling?"

I hesitated for a moment before telling him, "yeah... but I don't like that nickname. And my tongue still hurts, I should have blew on the pie."

Firosa laughed and said, "alright Princess, I won't use that nickname again. And I'll make sure to blow on the pie for you next time."

I felt safe and comforted by the boy's actions, and suddenly turned my head and gave Micah a kiss on the lips. I turned my head to Firosa and gave him a kiss too, going back to playing with Micah's ring after.

Micah hugged me more tightly and whispered, "you are the most precious thing in the world, we love you so much Kitten."

I smiled and saw Firosa holding the fork with pie, he gently blew on it. I eagerly opened my mouth and Firosa put the fork in my mouth, pulling it out as I wrapped my mouth around the pie.

It was still hot, but didn't hurt my mouth so I smiled happily and chewed my food, savouring the sugar that now coated my mouth.

I twirled the ring around my fingers, smiling at the way the light hit it, it shined like an ember in the night. I ran my fingers along it's edges, it was warm now from the heat of my hands. I noticed a faint engraving and ran my fingers over it, trying to figure out what exactly it said.

Micah could sense my curiosity and told me, "it's engraved with the word rose."

I tilted my head, trying to figure out the significance of roses, but I couldn't figure out what it meant.

Firosa fed me another bite of pie and Micah explained, "remember when we were walking to the pack house in about second grade? You pointed out a bush of white roses, then proceeded to run over to it and try to touch them, not realizing they had thorns. You ended up covered in scratches and cuts, but you smiled so happily when I helped you get a rose. Even when we drove to the hospital with your mom because she was worried about how many cuts there were on you, you refused to put the rose down."

"Oh yeah! I remember that! I still have the rose actually, my mom helped me dry it and it's in a vase on my nightstand. It's still really pretty, I think white roses are my favourite flowers. It was definitely worth getting cut for." I smiled, reliving the moment of joy I felt when Micah had handed me that rose.