The Interactions

They settled Waqas in a room which was made completely equipped for keeping a patient like him. It looked more like a hospital room than the Hospital room itself. There was a full-time nurse at service too. Meerab and Anila were staying in the adjacent room.

The first day passed uneventfully except when Maa begum came with baskets of fruits to visit Waqas and ask about his health. The food came from the main haveli as Anwer Khan rarely ever ate in his portion due to which cooking supplies were scarce. It was almost 11:00pm when Meerab came out of her room as she couldn't sleep. 

Meerab roamed around the deserted portion and reflected upon her time in the Haveli. It amazed her that in 10 months she had stayed in Anwer's portion only once that too for 2 days. She remembered the circumstances in which she stayed here, how Haya had manipulated Maa begum into thinking that Meerab was responsible for the car accident that severely injured Murtasim. She remembered how Maa begum threw her out and how Murtasim bought her back. He had stood up for her, something that everyone had stopped doing in those days, she had been touched and felt for the first time that she belonged somewhere. She remembered that night and a smile creped into her face but she soon stopped it and shrugged.

After another two minutes of aimless roaming Meerab decided to make coffee for herself and head to the kitchen only to realize there was no coffee in Anwer's kitchen and that really bothered Meerab . Who doesn't have coffee in their kitchen? Meerab looked at the wall clock and which was saying 11:13 and decided to go get her coffee from the main kitchen of the Haveli as she knew certainly nobody would be there at this hour.

Meerab walked into the main kitchen with very cautious steps and started her drill of coffee making as she already knew where everything was by then. She poured milk in a small sauce pan and put it on a stove. As she waited for the milk to boil she felt someone entering the kitchen and turned around only to find Murtasim at the entrance of the kitchen. Meerab stilled and Murtasim stopped in his tracks.

"Ah....I was just going to make coffee for myself as I couldn't sleep" Murtasim informed and then said "It's okay, I'll come later you take your time." He turned and started walking away.

"Wait...." Meerab exclaimed

"I am making coffee too....for the same reason." she said while shrugging and then offered "I'll make one for you too."

Murtasim contemplated the offer for a moment too long

"Oh come on! you know I make great coffee." Meerab said rolling her eyes which made Murtasim smile.

"Yes, I know...and I would appreciate that," Murtasim replied.

AS Meerab added some more milk in the pan and took another cup out for Murtasim's coffee, he stood at a considerable distance but his eyes never left her. Meerab was also acutely aware of his eyes on her which was making it difficult for her to keep her movements steady. She felt a flush creeping up her neck and she started feeling hot.

Murtasim noticed the flush too and felt a sudden rush of emotions in himself. His fingers tingled with a need to touch her, they always did since the night of their togetherness and the tragedy was, they never got a chance to since then. The blood was rushing to his head now and he felt dazed. His eyes moved upward from her neck to her lips and he found her biting her lower lip absent-mindedly. Murtasim felt his restraint slipping away as he gulped.

God! This kitchen seemed to have Oxygen for one person only, Murtasim thought and realized that he needed to get out before he did something stupid.

"I...I need to make an urgent call so I am going out in the garden." He said abruptly and then added "Please leave my coffee on the kitchen counter I'll take it from there and....thanx" with that he rushed out of the kitchen.