13

The longest week of my life. After Monday's crap, I had spent the week burning it off and I think I was good now. It had taken me a good amount of thinking to remind myself exactly what the girls said. I told him. I had my back covered. This wasn't on him. It wasn't his fault he became a target and it wasn't his fault he wanted something I wasn't even considering. But at the same time, I did give him an out. I gave him a chance for me to turn and leave. He didn't take it. That's not my problem and if it comes up, that's exactly what I'm going to say. He knew, he chose to ignore it. The consequences are not my responsibility.

I sat down at my desk outside Mark's office. It wasn't explicitly mine. It was just kind of spare and honestly, I'd sit wherever there was a space. I just needed to be here to sort his emails and calendar and deal with minutes from his meetings this week, typing them up and summarizing them for him. Stupid stuff no one ever really had time for but it made life easier.

"Hey Tori. You're awfully quiet today." I looked up at Mark as he slid a coffee onto my desk from the kitchen. "You good?"

"All good. A lot in my head."

"How'd the meeting with your dad go on Monday?"

"Got it."

"You did?" I nodded. "Well done you!" I could feel Ash's death glare into the side of my face as he stood next to his dad. I still hadn't acknowledged him today. Not really. I gave him an upturned smile when he walked in but I was luckily mid conversation with some of the girls. "Bet you're happy with it?"

"I mean, people are losing their jobs but yeah. I guess so."

"Yeah, that's the negative, but changing the layout of your teams is major." He turned slightly. "Tori identified some shaky spending and convinced her dad to split the sales team up depending on ability to do certain tasks."

"It was an easy decision."

"No, it wasn't. You showed me that spreadsheet Tori. It wasn't simple, it was in depth and took you hours." I shrugged. It is what it is. "Not only does she work here and for her dad, but she also runs courses online and edits for the Edwards financial report."

"As in the paper?"

"Mhm. A friend owns it." He narrowed his eyes slightly. "Speaking of friends. I am running late for lunch with them. I'll catch you guys later on."

"I'm coming out, I'll walk with you." I closed my laptop, holding onto it tightly as I walked down the hall, Asher beside me like some kind of bodyguard. It was awkwardly silent as we waited for the lift. "So, are you lying to my dad too or just me?" Here we go. Buckle in ladies and gents.

"Lying about what?"

"I don't know. Fucking everything." He kept his voice low, eyes forward on the doors.

"I lied about my name. That's it." I stepped into the lift, pressing the ground floor. He stared at me, eyes a little darker than they had been last week. Denim jacket and white tee shirt. That same denim jacket he was always wearing. Like it was glued to him or something. I knew it wasn't. I'd seen what was underneath. "Getting in then or?" He rolled his eyes, taking a few deep steps until I was backed against the mirrored wall.

"You said you'd stay."

"No, I didn't. I said pancakes sounded good. They did."

"You're being fucking finickity." His hand broke free from his pocket, holding a button on the lift until it stuttered to a stop, my eyes going wide. "Why'd you leave?"

"That's kind of what happens after a one-night stand Asher."

"So, I'm not Ace anymore?"

"Your my boss' son. I don't think it's appropriate." He scoffed.