20

I had tomorrow left in this shit tip. I feel like I've spent the past 3 weeks packing up everything and buying furniture. Finding the perfect house with dad whilst still discussing my new wage and title was like it was supposed to be mine. I didn't have an issue in living there whilst I did the minor renovation on it. I just wanted to get out of this house, away from Emmett's judgey looks which since our argument in the gym last month hadn't really changed. It had never been this bad between us before but I was sick of him and mum telling me the whole Leon thing was my fault and it 100% had tilted me towards moving out.

It had taken 2 weeks of ignoring emails from Asher if they weren't work related for him to finally stop. Each one was hard but I just deleted it and deleted it from my trash box and I'd forget after a few hours. Each one asking the same questions. Why did I leave, why am I ghosting him, why didn't I say, can we talk. 3 times a day without fail. Until this past week where he emailed me once for some advice on a report I used to pull for his dad. I replied. Keeping the answer professional and short, giving him the answer, he needed.

I promised Mark I'd support whoever took over my job there and I wasn't about to let him down. It wasn't Mark's fault. It wasn't Asher's fault either. I just didn't like how much I was starting to need him and since cutting him out, as hard as it's been, I am feeling more like my normal self. If I wasn't at this damn gala tonight, I'd probably be out with the girls. But if I had to show up before, I had to even more now. It wasn't just a new title dad had stuck on me. It was Chief Operating Officer. Alongside Emmett, of course. But it officially put me on the list of influential people in finance. I'd gone a lot of my working life practically entirely avoiding the spotlight but the announcement went out last week and it was in every paper. To the point that Mackenzie called me and asked because it slipped my mind to tell them.

"Mum." I sighed, calling out on the landing. I could have sworn I'd kept my bag out for tonight but it must have been packed because it was nowhere to be seen. "Mum?" No answer. I sighed, walking down the long hallway towards her closet. I couldn't go without a bag. I knocked on her closet and pushed it open when there was no answer, opening her drawer and taking one of the event clutches she had on hand before heading back down the stairs. Putting my things into the bag. Lipstick, compact, credit card and phone. What else did I need?

"They had to run out." I stopped, swallowing hard. Breathe. Nice and easy. Turning around I held back a sigh when he was dressed in his tux. "Hi Tor."

"Leon. Where's Emmett?"

"His shoelaces snapped so he had to go buy some more. Your mum's dress was marked so your dad's taken her to get another one."

"Oh." This is awkward. I have seen him twice since the incident. Both times were in a packed-out room and I had one of the girls with me to keep me busy. This was the first time we had been alone or we'd spoken.

"How are you?"

"Good. You?"

"Good." I nodded. Another long silence between us as we just stared at each other. He never changed. Not from us being kids. Just became a little more defined. Dark blonde hair neatly styled and I sighed, shaking my head at him, putting the purse on the side and taking 3 quick steps over to him. "Still don't know how to tie a bowtie." I undid it for him, scowling as I redid it right.

"It looked fine."

"It did not. You're not sitting around me looking like that. Are you kidding? Stop smiling like that. I'm still fuming with you."

"I still don't know why."

"You know exactly why."

"I really don't Tori. I asked you to marry me. I should be mad not the other way around."

"Okay, firstly, we weren't even in a relationship-"

"We were."

"Friends with benefits is not a relationship Leon." He looped an arm around my waist and I scowled, finishing his tie quickly and pushing it away. "Secondly, you just dropped it on me. In the middle of a huge family dinner with everyone watching. Do you have any idea how embarrassing it was to say to my parents and my brother that we weren't together, but we were having regular sex? Then you've got the fact that I told you I didn't want a relationship. I didn't want to marry just because I don't want any of that stupid shit. And then finally, I told you, we were not exclusive and feelings were not to get mixed into it."

"I couldn't help the feelings side."

"Why not? I did." He tilted his head at me. Blue eyes still staring deep into my soul like he could undo any secret I had with them. "Look. Get through tonight and I'm moving out this weekend so you can go back to coming over or whatever."

"You're moving out?"

"Yes."

"Where to?"

"Chelsea."

"Nice." I nodded. "Let me take you out when you're out of here."

"No chance."

"Why not?" I glared. "I won't propose this time Tori. Hand on heart. I don't like not talking to you. I want my friend back."

"Your friend isn't here now Leon. You killed that friendship." He sighed at me like I was being dramatic. "I don't think you understand the implications you doing that had. You know my mum still hates me? Do you have any idea how many people I literally heard whispering about the whole thing? Saying I am fucked in the head for not accepting it when you're more than right for me?" The lump in his throat bobbed slowly as I stared at him. "Your parents sacked me Leon. Made up some shit about cutting costs but they hired a replacement."

"You quit."

"I quit? No. I didn't. They told me they were cutting costs and had to let me go. 2 weeks later I saw my replacement online. Do you know the hit that not just me, my entire fucking family took for that?"

"I-" The door opened behind me, Leon's eyes looking over my shoulder and then back to me, red faced and overwhelmed by everything. I exhaled.

"Oh, Hi Leon. Didn't know you were here. Where's Emmett? The cars here." I grabbed the purse from the side, needing to get some air before dealing with all of them for the full night. 24 hours. Less than 24 hours and you'll be unpacking in the new house Tori. Nearly there.