21

I don't think I have ever felt so out of place in my whole life. Glass of something in my hand, I don't know what it was, I downed two the second we were out of the car. My Dad stared at me and I smiled, sipping on the second slower and flicking my eyes to Leon. He nodded slowly. Leon was a touchy subject in our family to say the least. Nothing had been right since him. My parents learning about my private life that I'd worked damn hard to keep private had completely changed our dynamic and had slipped us into whatever the hell we had now.

My relationship with my parents had never been perfect don't get me wrong, but it did used to be filled with a lot more laughter. Even last Christmas, before all of this, it was family game nights, screaming at monopoly, throwing each other in the pool in summer, leaving buckets on door frames to soak them wet through when they were running late for work. Leon's proposal had thrown it all completely out of whack and it's like we were all still in shock about it because no one knew what to do or say and it was even worse with him stood opposite me.

That car ride was horrific. I have never experienced and awkward silence quite like that one. Everyone just looking around. I'd worked out that it had been a planned thing, Leon coming with us when he could have gone with his parents. He didn't usually come with us, we used to meet him there. Emmett would usually text him as we got in and he'd wave across the room. Our family would make their way to his and that's where wed' be all night. Except now, we were stood in a group and the small talk was suffocating me. I was just watching the bubbles rise and fall in my glass. Condensation on the side, freezing my hand.

All of these gala or balls, whatever you want to call the, they were all held here. Some huge manor house on the outskirts of town. It was only around Christmas when the individual businesses we work with would throw their parties that we'd be in London for an event this size. This was essentially an awards ceremony tonight for things like highest profits, best reviews, overall best financial company in the country. Those kind of things.

"No, she definitely refused the proposal. Look, no ring." I lifted my head to the murmurs behind me, dragging me from my thoughts. A quick glance over my shoulder led me to 2 women not much older than me, snickering as they sipped on their glasses, turning back into themselves. I shook my head slightly, exhaling as I turned back to our group, downing my glass in one. I want to go. I thought 8 months would be enough time for people to finally stop talking about this and now I'm starting to fear that's all anyone was going to relate to my name.

Leon's eyes narrowed slightly, looking over my shoulder and then back to me. He lifted 2 fingers on his glass, a signal we'd used hundreds of times when we needed to get away from our parents. I shook my head, making sure I wasn't drawing any attention. Leon shifted on his feet, waited until I looked back at him and then nodded towards the exit, more obvious, causing his mum to look at me. I rolled my shoulders back, standing a little taller and breathing out.

"Just going to the bathroom." I whispered to my dad beside me, he nodded and I turned, replacing my empty glass with a full one from a passing waitress and getting out of the room. Time to wander around a manor house and find somewhere to waste my time. Normally me, Leon and Emmett would end up in the gardens with a bottle of champagne laughing like we were on crack or when I'd been here with Kenzie we wouldn't disappear. Much like those 2 girls had been, we'd stand in the corner gossiping and laughing. Coming alone wasn't the smartest idea I've ever had but it was the only option.

"Tori, wait up." I scowled, drinking from my glass. and continuing to walk down the open entry way. "Come on Tor. I know they pissed you off."

"Me? Pissed off? No. I'm fine." I spun around with a huge smile on my face. "The entire fucking financial sector is still making me the topic to talk about all because of some guys out of place question. At least my name's out there and I mean you're getting what you wanted right? To be linked to the Kennedy name forever?"

"It wasn't like that Tori."

"Then why did you do it Leon?" He looked around quickly, the awards now starting which meant everyone important was now inside that room and everywhere else was empty.

"Because I was in love with you Tori. Why else would I do it?" I sighed, shaking my head at him. "Don't tell me it wasn't real Victoria. I felt it. It's real. I felt it for you and I wanted to, I still do want to spend the rest of my life with you." That is not what I was expecting him to say. I was expecting it to be a prank or some fucking joke. It being a genuine proposal made me a little bit queasy.

"You're psychotic." I snarled, turning back around and slamming into a brick wall, covering myself in champagne. I looked up quickly, face flooding red as I stumbled backwards.

"Sorry, she's had a bit to drink." Leon started rambling behind me, holding out a napkin.

"Are you okay?" Asher's eyes didn't even acknowledge Leon, just took the napkin and handed it to me.

"She's fin-"

"I didn't ask you. I asked Victoria." I'm going to be sick. What the fuck is going on? My head feels so heavy right now and all the background noise is starting to sound like static. "Tori?" I looked up at Asher.

"I don't- Ash-"

"Go get her dad." Asher grabbed the glass out of my hand, putting it on the table beside me before grabbing my arm. "Tor, you're okay babe. Deep breat- shit."