13

(DISCLAIMER: This is a work of fiction. Names, characters, businesses, places, events, locales, and incidents are either the products of the author's imagination or used in a fictitious manner. It's important to remember this is all totally fabricated, embellished, and exaggerated for entertainment purposes.)

*******

Just the name of the game

The way of the world, way of the world

Just the way of the world

One World - John Martyn

When we returned home, we showered and got dressed, then met up in the living room to head to town for lunch. He caught me heading down the main steps and approached.

"Is that what you're wearing?" he asked, with a comical sneer.

"Heyyy..." I winced. "I look sick!" I was wearing an oversized button down and navy corduroy shorts.

"Talk about a bloody eye sore."

"Hey screw you, alright!" I laughed, punching him in the back as he headed out the front door.

It was a lovely midday drive, and I was grateful to finally make the trip in the daylight and grow accustomed to the countryside leading to his estate. The sun was still high and we blasted the air-con the entire way. When we arrived in a small town about 45 minutes away, he parked on the side of a bustling road and we separated to run a few errands. He stopped in the post office while I headed down the road to a convenience store that sold souvenirs. I picked up a few for different people I had in mind, then inquired where I could purchase more film because I was running out of the extra I'd brought along. After I popped down the road and purchased loads, Gray and I met up mid-block and decided on a place for lunch.

He set a hand to my back as I entered a family-owned café filled with vintage Japanese art and fish tanks. It made me feel cared for to have the weight of his hand on the small of my back. Made me feel looked after and small. Something about going around with him and being seen with a guy this beautiful instilled a strange pride I couldn't quite make sense of. He wasn't mine, but he was certainly acting like it, and this proved to be an effective tactic of persuasion. His simply assuming the role without discussion made it all feel possible. And in that case, there was no denying his courtship or demanding for him to stop, as it didn't technically exist.

After washing our hands, we sat in a sequestered booth in the rear of the restaurant. I felt brave, and so did the unthinkable. I first took a photo of him with my film camera while he was busy gazing out the window through a shaft of light. It was an irresistible frame, so I snapped it more than once as his expression became more wistful and aesthetic. I then took out my phone and snapped one of him digitally, capturing his flawless profile and biceps straining the thin crewneck tee. Also capturing the vintage vibes of the little sushi joint we'd stumbled on. It was Insta-feed porn.

Feeling rather ballsy for reasons I couldn't quite fathom, I posted the photo to IG with a black and white filter. I just wanted people to know I knew him and that I was hanging with him and that I was abroad. In the caption I simply added the Japanese flag, leaving it at that. Almost instantly, my phone erupted with notifications and texts as my friends and family began commenting and messaging, asking who he was and gushing over his killer looks. I just grinned and put my phone away, devilishly letting them simmer for a while. I would assess the damage later. Hey, at least now they all knew I was alive and well.