eighteen.

Wednesday rolled around and Milan was in her room doing laundry. There was a movie night at seven so she was probably going to go there with Davon. Her week was going ok so far and she couldn't wait for the other homecoming festivities.

Sean was supposed to be coming over to help her since he insisted when she told him her plans for today. When she heard knocks at the door Milan shut the dryer and turned it on before opening the door.

"It's hot as hell outside." Sean said as he entered the room.

"I know."

"You're looking like somebody momma with that head scarf on." Sean laughed.

"Please." Milan rolled her eyes before she went back into her room. There was a pile of clothes on her bed that needed folding.

Sean walked in soon after and grabbed a shirt to start the task, Milan sat on her bed and joined him. Some more knocks came along and Milan looked over at Sean.

"What? This isn't my room." He shrugged.

Huffing, Milan got up and walked to the door to open it. She saw it was some guy with a yellow basket.

"Yes?" Milan asked with confusion written all over her face.

"Milan?" Milan gave a simple nod, "This is for you."

The boy handed over the basket and Milan looked inside before she gave a small smile, "Thank you."

He nodded and walked off and before Milan could close the door, she heard a voice say, "Don't close the door!"

Her eyes widened when she saw that it was her mom. She wasn't supposed to come until Friday for the basketball and football game, but she had other plans.

"Mom! What are you doing here?" Milan exclaimed.

"I can't come to see my own daughter. What's in that basket?" Lauren questioned as she closed the door, "This dorm looks just the same." Lauren looked around the room.

"Mom, now isn't a good time."

"Girl, what you hiding in here? One of them little boys you've been telling me about?" Lauren teased as she walked past her daughter and into her room.

Milan closed her eyes and did a quick prayer when she heard her mom and Sean greeting each other. Milan reluctantly came in and placed the basket on her desk.

"Yes ma'am, I see where Milan gets her looks from." Sean cheesed making Lauren chuckle before waving him off.

"Stop it! I've heard a lot about you. Milan has you in here folding her clothes, you just really like her."

"Yeah, but I'm sure you know that Milan is taken."

"Hello! I'm in here too ya know."

"Well, let's get to the question at hand. Who is that basket from? Let's open it Milly." Lauren said as she walked closer to the basket. She was more excited than Milan was.

"Okay, it's probably from Davon or something."

Sean rolled his eyes he mocked her words to himself. Milan and Lauren looked through the basket and Sean watched with a smile on his face as the two went on about how well it was put together.

"This is too cute, look there's a picture frame."

"Who's in the picture?" Milan took the frame from her mom and smiled before looking back at Sean.

She remembered the picture from when they had hung out in her room and she decided to snap some pictures in Sean's phone. This one in particular included her and Sean together with silly poses.

"What? Did Davon get it for you?" Sean asked while he placed a pair of jeans he had just folded onto his neat stack of clothes.

"Don't play with me, come here." Milan held her arms open and Sean engulfed her into a hug.

Lauren folded her arms as she watched the two. When they pulled away from each other Lauren spoke.

"Take a seat y'all."

"Ma, we're not doing one of your interventions."

"But.. you are." Lauren stated sternly making Sean shape his mouth into a O and sitting on the bed.

Milan decided to sit at her desk.

"Sean, listen.. you seem like a nice guy but these gifts aren't the way to Milan's heart."

Sean looked over at Milan who had her eyes fixated on her mom. She wanted to run to her mom and place some duct tape over her mouth.

"I-"

"Let me finish. These gifts are so thoughtful but I need to know how you're actually showing Milan that you're ready for her as far as getting your act together."

"Well Miss Evans, I've actually talked to Milan and I've decided to let her and Davon have their relationship without me trying to interfere."

"But what are you doing by giving her this?"

"Just a friend gifting a friend." Sean shrugged, "Miss Evans, I want to be with your daughter." Sean said staring directly into her eyes.

"I plan on showing her that I have learned from my mistakes and to be vulnerable to her."

Milan had now had her eyes on him. Sean always told her how he wasn't vulnerable and it made him seem weak. To see this side of him gave Milan hope. She was now fighting with her mind and her heart.

She hoped that she chose the right person.

To Be Continued