twenty.

a couple months later
spring semester

Sighing, Milan put down her duffle bag sitting it on her bed. Today was the day to move in from Christmas and New Year's break to start the spring semester. Milan was ecstatic to see her friends, the FaceTime calls and texts didn't do any justice.

Feeling some arms snake around her waist knocked her out of her thoughts, she knew it was Davon.

"You okay baby?" He asked as he stuffed his head into her neck taking in her scent.

"I'm fine." Milan stated as she turned to face him.

"I think that's the last of your things. Your mom told me to tell you to call her when you're finished."

"Okay, will do."

Their lips collided multiple times before Davon pulled away, "I'm about to get my things settled and I'll be back over to check in on you."

Milan faked pouted making Davon laugh, "I'll be back, chill."

They hugged and said their goodbyes. Milan sighed and grabbed one of her boxes that she had brought home with her. She opened it and halted when she saw the picture of her and Sean.

Since that night, they hadn't spoken as much. Milan made it her mission to text him on Christmas and on New Years to receive no reply, her messages didn't even go through.

She couldn't even be mad at him. Milan knew it must have hurt him when she made the decision to be with Davon.

Davon had never broken trust and she couldn't ruin a good thing because of what could have been. Placing the picture back into the box, Milan took out some of her hygiene products putting them back on her dresser.

Deciding that it was too quiet, Milan decided to play some music. Erykah Badu's voice came from out of her TV as she unpacked.

"Milli!"

Milan jumped when she heard the voice of Yasmeen as she turned around from putting up some groceries that she had brought.

"You scared the hell out of me. How'd you get in?" Milan said as she spread her arms while walking toward Yasmeen.

 How'd you get in?" Milan said as she spread her arms while walking toward Yasmeen

The two embraced and Yasmeen spoke, "Your roommate let me in."

"I didn't even hear her."

"Maybe you can't hear because you have Ms.Badu playing. You gonna let me go or?"

"I'm sorry," Milan pulled away, "I just missed you!"

"Me, you, and Taylor were on the phone almost everyday! Please."

"But still." Milan said as she sat on her bed.

"So how's everything?"

Milan shrugged, before grabbing her phone, "Everything is everything."

"Did Sean text you back?" Yasmeen plopped down in Milan's desk chair and put her head in her hand.

Milan just looked up over her phone and put her eyes back on her phone screen.

"He didn't? Yeah, he's over it word to Summer. That's so unlike him, he loves him some you."

"He has every right to be over it. I would do the same thing." Milan replied.

"I mean, you followed your heart. He can't be mad at that and like you said he had his chance. Not gonna lie, I liked y'all together but Davon is a good guy."

"Well I hope this decision doesn't bite me in the ass."

•••

"Hey man, you good?" Deon peeked into Sean's room to see that he was watching TV.

"I'm straight."

"Look at you, growing a whole beard. What's with the change?" Deon walked further into the room and sat on the bed.

"Just wanted to try something different. I feel like.. I'm entering a new stage in my life."

Deon looked at him with a bored expression, "Really?"

Sean smacked his lips, "So I'm not allowed to change?"

"That's not what I'm saying, I'm actually proud of you. Is it because of Milan though?"

"I am so sick of y'all associating our names with each other. She is in a relationship and I'm moving on." Sean spat while looking at the basketball highlights he was watching on YouTube.

"I'm sorry, I won't do it again Michaels." Deon said raising his hand up, "Let me know when you want to hit the cafe though."

"Alright man." Sean said as he watched Deon leave his room.

His mind started to wander and he picked up his phone going to the thread of the unsaved number. He looked over the messages that he didn't bother to reply to.

He didn't feel the need to but now he was rethinking his decision. Sean started to type but pressed down on the backspace button and instead exited the thread.

He swiped left over the thread and pressed the red button. If Milan didn't want it, he didn't either and it was truly time for him to move on as she had.

TO BE CONTINUED