Prologue

"A live feeling inside, my love
I know I'm going away, my love"
-Supergrass-

The windows screamed as rain lashed upon them like arrows, the storm ceaseless.

With my head buried in a pillow, the thunder was only just drowned out.

Days it had lasted. Like my mother's bad mood. Nate and I knew something was wrong, we just didn't know what.

Nate sat at the top of the staircase, hands numb from gripping the balustrades, head peaked through them, listening for anything.

Soon he returned to our bedroom, flopping onto his own bed and pulling out a book.

"Could you hear them?" I asked him rolling onto my back with the pillow still covering my face.

"Only faintly," he answered, voice sullen. "They're still arguing, and we still can't go down."

"Well, they won't be coming up any time soon, so we can close the window?" I replied, gaze hopeful.

"And lock the doors." Nate nodded in agreement.

Two twin beds, for two twins, both shivering as they tugged the shoddy blankets around their cold bodies.

"I think the tension will ease as the storm does," Nate whispered.

"Really," I said, not really with question.

"That's how it always is, I've noticed. Anger in the thunder, cheer in the spring." Nate explained.

"How is it you word things like that? You could convince your mortal enemy that you're their closest ally." I mused, puffs of steam escaping my lips as i spoke.

Nate chuckled. "It's a gift, grandpa said, one you may not possess, for we are as different as we are alike, Adelaide; the perfect balance."

I smiled. My name was never Adelaide. It was 'Ada', 'Adie', 'Ela' or 'Del'. But Nate knew how I preferred Adelaide, just like how I knew he preferred nate over Nathaniel.

Strange, how opposite?

"You and me against the world, huh?" i sighed.

"Forever, and all that comes after, I promise."

The last words Nate spoke to me in person.