13: Us

"And now I'm ready to feel your hand
And lose my heart in the burning sands"
The Stooges

"Inej didn't even try to stop her?" asked Kaz, a confused frown upon his face.

"No- I mean, she probably would've, but, the Sun Summoner is... well, the Sun Summoner," I defended, knowing what I was saying was bullshit. "Inej just knew she couldn't take her on."

Kaz sighed. I knew I hadn't done a good job at convincing.

We had already changed. I wore a puff-sleeved shirt and dark trousers, with a thick coat that was cinched at the waist.

I offered him my hand, not meeting his gaze.

He slipped off one glove, interlocking his fingers with mine. He flinched as sparks crept up his hand.

"Sorry," I whispered. "It's going to take a long time before I can control it,"

"I don't mind it." replied Kaz.

We walked along the street, inspecting the stalls. It wasn't long before we found one that sold garments.

"They only have fingerless woollen ones," Kaz said in defeat. "Military grade."

"That's okay," I replied. "I'll just have to try buy some skag to keep my heartbeat down, that should soften the buzz."

"Skag?"

"A drug." I explained.

Kaz paid for the gloves, and I took them gratefully. I let go of his hand to slip them on.

"Thank you." I said, giving him a smile.

He nodded in return. "Come on, then, we need to go to the pub,"

"Yeah,"

I scratched at and adjusted the gloves, my mouth down turning. Not that there was anything wrong with them... I was just avoiding the silence between us.

"What are we, Adelaide?" asked Kaz.

Taken aback, I recomposed myself. "Humans?" I offered.

"No. You know what I mean," he glanced at me. "In all seriousness, what are we?"

I felt my heart sting. Sparks crackled at my fingertips. I stuffed my hands in the pockets of my coat.

"I'm not sure," I admitted. "What do you think?"

Kaz sighed. "There's something... different... between you and I. I'm just not sure what to do, in case it gets in the way of the job."

I nodded slowly. "Kaz, you've not been able to hug anyone, hold anyone's hand since the... incident. It means something, right?" I replied.

"And what about you? What's so special about me...?"

"I saved your life with the Kügelblitz, the ability I fear using. I told you who I am, what I've been through," I paused, a small smile spreading across my lips. "There's nobody else in this world who knows these things. There's nobody else in this world that... that makes me feel good; happy; when I'm around them."

I met his gaze. "That counts for something, huh?"

He cast his eyes down. "Yes."

We arrived outside the pub, no sign of Inej or Jesper.

I stood facing him. "I think this is worth a try. Tiny steps, keep it private?"

"Because this... feeling... is a weakness,"

I chuckled. "If you let it be. It can also give you incredible strength; like back at the chapel. I was hardly off the drugs, but such feeling fuelled my capacity for power."

"Then... us... is a thing?" Kaz locked eyes with me.

"Yeah,"

With a split second of thought, I put a hand on his neck, pressing my lips gently against his.

I could sense the shock he felt, followed by the release of tension.

Butterflies swarmed in my stomach.

It lasted sweet seconds.

Kaz's cheeks were pink, as were mine.

"Promise me one thing, Brekker," I said.

"What is it?" he asked.

"That if some asshole kidnaps me, threatens my life, or some shit like that- you do not act upon it?" I replied. "It's a real buzzkill if your macho is spoiled by a girl. In a moment like that, promise me you'll just let it go, let me go?"

Kaz hesitated, before nodding.

"Good," I smiled. "Oh, and don't expect me to do the same. If you're in shit, I am blowing up Ketterdam to save you,"

A/N: Did you know 'ketter' means 'heretic' in Dutch? Interesting little detail there, not sure if everyone already knew and I'm just clueless.