17: Beer

"Think I'll lose my mind if I don't
Find something to pacify"
-Black Sabbath-

The dawn was bleak and so were my eyes. They stung like bees, tiny ruby veins striking their way through the sclera.

I let out a huff as I lay down beside the three, gazing onward at the train that had served us passage through the Fold.

We were concealed behind a wagon; guards were patrolling the vehicle.

There was a faint ringing in my ears as I tuned in to what the other were saying.

"Not to be that person, Kaz; but are you sure you can drive that thing?" questioned Jesper.

"Yes. On the way to Kribirsk, while you were hugging bait~" began Kaz.

"Milo. The goat's name was Milo." corrected Jesper.

"~I was memorising Arken's timings," continued Kaz with a glare.

"Yeah, I'm sorry, but Jes does have a point," I muttered, rolling on to my back and examining the world wrong-side up. "Arken's system was bloody overcomplicated, I wouldn't be surprised if you missed a beat..."

I trailed off as I noticed Kaz's confusion.

"Jes?" he asked skeptically.

I could see something in his eyes. It felt green.

"It's Ravkan, for friendship," smirked Jesper, nudging my shoulder.

I yawned, elbowing his chest. "No, I don't think it is,"

I rolled back over, following Kaz's gaze which was fixed on the train.

"Arken and I think alike, trust me~" he started.

Boom.

The train was blown to smithereens.

"Too soon to appreciate the irony, am I right?" Jesper's lips drew into a thin line. Kaz lowered his head.

"Yeah, too soon," I sighed softly.

Kaz was quick to resilience. "All right, let's see if there's another way across; we need information and the best place to find it is the most popular pub," he explained, getting to his feet.

"Always has to be a damn pub, huh? Y'know I'm trying to get off the alcohol?" I muttered, swaying as I stood.

There was a permanent stitch in my side from the wound. If the Kügelblitz wasn't why I couldn't sleep, then it was.

I lay upon a bed in our room, above the raucous pub.

I covered my eyes with my hands, trying to slow my heartbeat. You couldn't sleep unless it was lowered, that was easy knowledge.

But alas, no luck.

I sat up with a huff, crossing my legs and resting my elbows upon my knees.

Although the Kügelblitz kept me from sleep, I was still not strong enough to harness it. The latter was definitely caused my the former; an indentured loop of doom.

It had to come to a point where I'd either die, or pass out from tiredness. I couldn't tell which one was better.

Sleep deprivation was playing with my mind.

The ringing was louder now.

Inej's voice was drowned out as I vacantly gazed at her, vision blurred.

This was dreadful.

I held my head in my hands, hair scrunched between my fingers.

Saint, let it stop. I didn't have time for insanity.

"Ada? Ada, are you alright?" a voice scathed through the ringing. Jesper.

"Hm?" the sound escaped my lips.

"What's wrong with her?"

I recognised Inej's voice.

I tried to stand, but my legs were numb. My head spun.

I felt a firm grip on my forearm.

"Ada, you need to sit down," I could make out Jesper's voice as I was eased back on to the bed.

"Get her some beer,"

I soon felt a glass at my lips, and frothy amber liquid running down my throat.

It brought back my senses. I felt my heart steady, the ringing fading and my vision clearing.

I took the glass from Jesper, downing the rest of it.

"Saints, thank you," I massaged my forehead. "I'm so sorry for not listening, what's going on?"

Jesper sighed. "Kaz wants us to board a skiff filled with people who want us dead," he explained. "Oh, and our best friend the general is going to be joining us too, right Kaz? With the Sun Summoner?" he hissed.

My eyes widened. "Board a skiff with the general? Kaz, don't tell me this is another attempt at nabbing the Summoner?"

"That's what I thought," muttered Inej.

"No," defended Kaz. "It's our only chance across, and we must take it."

"But, if they recognise us, we're dead," Jesper arched his brow.

"We'll have to blend in," said Kaz. "Who else was on that skiff?"

"Some people from the Winter Fete," replied Inej. "Dignitaries from Kerch and Novyi Zem on their way back home,"

"Now they're audience to one more light show..." Kaz trailed off, and I could see the cogs turning in his mind. "Jesper, how would you enjoy playing a Zemeni guard?"