Chapter 7 Time to Say Goodbye

Anton came back at around 10 am. At that hour, most of the Emberton had fallen into a somnolent stillness, but the Neon district was still bustled with vampires and werewolves. The fighting ring was still open. A werewolf and a vampire were trying to tear each other apart, while the rest of the crowd cheered and shouted like a swarm of ants, squirming in the sultry, cramped, dimly lit underground club.

Anton pushed through the crowd, skulked down several flights of stairs, and unlocked a rusty door to the deserted old gym. The symphony of loud music and ruckus of the lot was slightly muted yet still pounding the floor and the wall, making them vibrate slightly.

Lucius curled into a ball on the bed, seemingly asleep. Anton lightened his steps and settled himself on a chair near the bed. He loosened the bow tie and undid several buttons on the rigid dress shirt.

He never liked attending these sorts of social events, especially the aristocratic vampire balls. They were often overly...excessive to his taste.

However, tonight was proven to be interesting. Anton heard many rumors that King Dorian might seek Karnath Prince's hand in marriage. But tonight, the King didn't even dance with the Prince.

In fact, King Dorian didn't dance with anyone tonight. And he hadn't danced with anyone since Lucius was imprisoned. Most of the time, he remained in his seat and conversed with rows of nobility who sought an opportunity to talk to him.

And Dorian looked tired, drawn, and distracted, almost as if he was functioning on auto-pilot.

Anton used to hear many tales about how much the King loved his human consort and that he'd given up his crown and life for Lucius.

So did he know about Lucius's abduction? Was he acquiescing? If he loved Lucius that much, how could he allow Lucius to be sold as a slave?

Or...maybe the King didn't know? Perhaps Dorian received the official report from someone he trusts and thought Lucius was already safe at home, and that was why he didn't want to issue a Red Notice. Dorian knew Lucius could not be safe in Eternia anymore, so he'd rather he returned to Anthor.

Perhaps someone powerful and deceiving in the court had been stealthily guiding everything to happen and passed false information to the King.

If that was the case, should Anton alert the King?

But what if the King indeed acquiesced? Then Anton would endanger not only his own life but also Lucius's, jeopardizing the welfare of all werewolves.

Anton's uncle, Chieftain Volke, warned him not to meddle with vampire royal affairs. He said, "For some creatures who can live forever if they choose to, their love will always be temporary." Anton, therefore, decided not to tell Dorian that Lucius was with him. And he could only hope that he was doing the right thing.

Anton studied the sleeping human. He still remembered the first time he saw Lucius. He was in an inferno of pain, bewilderment, fear, and rage. His body was burning from hellish fever, and he felt like his brain was melting.

Death from rabies was slow and horrifying.

But suddenly, a cooling breeze and a sliver of tranquil light poured over his tormented body, healing every damaged cell. In an instant, all the pain and heat were gone. Anton opened his eyes and saw an angel praying for him. The gloaming cast a golden halo over his red-tinted golden hair, framing his delicate features and alabaster skin.

Later, he learned that the angel's real name was Lucius Rosenfield, and he was not the supposed High Priest called Julian, but Julian's twin brother, who was just a regular man Anthor sent as a surrogate and with no miracle-performing ability.