Chapter 30 D-Day

Lucius decided to host the Mass in the Chamber of Angels, one of the most sacred crypts in Celestine Palace, as it stashed the bone of the First Prophet Maryam. It was one of the oldest structures in the palace and was built after a major flood, so the tunnels were solid and wide enough to ensure functionality in the event of another flooding. After some scouting, Anton confirmed that its drainage system was connected to the abandoned labyrinthic old city sewers.

Lucius hid the gun and a small device Kim gave him under the regalia and left his room, met Isiah's scorchingly angry gaze. He didn't faze one bit and replied with a devilish wink. He couldn't let Isiah detect his nervousness and had to make the man believe that he was evil enough to kill and dismember his brother should anything go wrong, lest the bodyguard go rogue and expose him.

Division Nine had blocked the entire main road and vicinity areas to transport the Vampire King, and the Palace was hemmed in by layers of military vehicles and soldiers.

Lucius entered the chamber as one of the deacons told him that the escort convoy had arrived at the Palace. He laid out the relics and the hallowed vessels as many other priests and guards observed outside of the room. His heart was thumping thunderously in his chest, and he worried that people could hear it.

Archpriest Benedict and Jessica Emerson showed up first, and Lucius didn't even register what they were saying the moment he saw several guards drag a heavily chained, staggering figure into the room.

Dorian was barely standing, but they clearly cleaned him up and made him change into a clean white prisoner uniform. His beautiful face now ashen and sickly, his silky black hair became lackluster, and his sculptural body emaciated. A chain loaded with ancient runes connected his neck and both wrists, and a guard was dragging him along, not giving him enough time to adjust his balance.

Lucius was infuriated, but he had to wait. Had to hide all his boiling impulses to tear these people apart.

Perhaps he should have drunk Asmodian's blood when he had the chance. These people...they didn't deserve saving.

Dorian lifted his head, and their eyes locked. A quick surprise flashed across his countenance as he picked up the scent of Lucius.

When Lucius came to him in Division Nine, he only had time to tell Dorian what to say to the Archpriest and Jessica Emerson and didn't reveal the full scope of his plan. And Dorian did exactly as he said without questioning anything.

When he saw his consort standing in the sandalwood incensed room and rose oil incensed room, clad in the heavily adored regalia of the High Priest, he instantly guessed the plan.

It was a precarious move, using the very trick that Division Nine devised against themselves. Dorian had no idea how Lucius pulled it off. But his lover had always been resourceful, even though he was just a human without any superpower or political power.

Dorian kept his face straight, not betraying any of the swirling thoughts roaring in his mind. He let the guards pull him forward, kneeled without putting up a fight, and let them chain him to a newly installed metal ring on the floor before the altar. A red circle of werewolf Shaman magic runes used to trap vampires were drawn around him.

They were overly cautious. Dorian couldn't free himself even if the shackles on him were just regular metals. He had never felt so weak and empty, and an unbearable hunger clinched his mind, gnawing at his nerves like millions of tiny spiders scratching and biting the inside of his guts, making him want to claw away his own skin. He wanted blood. All he could think of was blood. He smelled it from anything and everything, hearing the vivacious pumping of the hearts and the delicious rushing sound in everyone's blood vessels, yet had no strength or power to obtain any.