Chapter 8 The Road of Thorns

Anton brought abundant antibiotics, hemostatics, disinfectants, painkillers, bandages and a sewing kit in case they got injured on the way, and now it came in handy. The young man's forehead was split from the kicking and possibly had a concussion, and one of his ribs was broken. There were several big purple bruise patches on his belly and chest, and Anton could only hope there was no major internal bleeding.

He gave him some painkillers, cleaned and sewed the open wounds, and patched him up as much as possible.

"This is all I can do now. I can't really stop massive internal bleeding, though. So let's hope he makes it through today." Anton said as he threw the scissors and needles into the disinfectant solution.

Lucius helped put all the bloody bandages, cotton and clothes into the garbage bin. He looked at Anton gratefully, "You are a good man, Anton."

"Even though I can turn into a killing machine in a second?"

Lucius chuckled, "To me, good is a relative term."

"Welp, then I'm glad I'm relatively good to you." Anton beamed at him. His smile was so different and distinct from most people in Lucius's life. It carried a sense of innocence and a childish vivacity and hadn't been stained by the treachery and corruption of this world.

After about an hour, the young man resumed consciousness and told them her name was Cole. He stared at Lucius's face for a long while as Lucius had removed his veil after they locked the door, deeming it was safe there.

Anton decided to leave the room and get some food, replenish their supplies, and meet with someone who could give them false identities and passports in case they needed it in Anthor. Lucius stayed behind to keep an eye on Cole.

"He treats you so well." Cole suddenly remarked after Anton left.

Lucius was browsing the news online, trying to search for information about the "robbery" at the House of Roses club and if the police were still looking for them. He turned to the young man on the bed and smiled, "Yes, I am very lucky."

"He treats you as if you are not a slave." Cole continued. His tone was flat, and his face was so swollen that Lucius couldn't read his emotions.

Lucius replied casually, "he is still new to this, I guess. He purchased me only several days ago." He intentionally tilted his head a little so the young man could see his branding, hoping he wouldn't ask more questions.

"Have we met before?" Cole kept on asking.

Lucius shook his head, "I don't think so."

"You look familiar."Cole grimaced from the pain and down casted his eyes, "Thank you for saving me."

"Thank my master. I'm just a slave like you. I couldn't have done anything." Lucius said dejectedly while giving him a glass of water, "Where were you from?"

"Thela."

Another small human country that was wiped out from the world map by Eternia.

"Any families?" Asked Lucius.

He shook his head, "All dead."

"I'm sorry..."

He fell into a morose silence. Lucius didn't want to disturb him further, so he left the room and sat on the couch in the living room to continue his search. After a while, a sudden onset of fatigue rushed over him, and he leaned on the couch and dozed off.

However, a sudden sense of danger pulled him back to reality, and he woke up to a knife on his throat.

Cole was holding the knife and looming over him. He probably hesitated briefly, but seeing Lucius woke up, he panicked and tried to press the knife down. Lucius gasped in shock and horror and quickly caught his wrists, but he was surprisingly strong for someone severely injured.