3

i walk out my room towards the stair and goes down it. i tie my hair into a ponytail and walk towards the kitchen. early start today. no more sleeping in. i don't want mom to scream at me again. 

"early, huh?" mom turns to me with a smug look on her face. is she gonna continue her nagging last night? or did she figured out another trick up her sleeve?

"i'm going to school on my bicycle today."

"for what? you're just gonna do everything you wish for starting now on? fine. i'll fire the driver." mr. park? i can't let him get fired. he has been working for us since i was a toddler. he did too much for me to get him in trouble.

"never mind. i'll take the car. good bye." my voice sink in as i walk out the door. looking at the empty dining table, there isn't any breakfast prepared for me to stay in this house any longer. i'll just ask mr. park to drop by the convenience store on our way.

the moment i walk out, mr. park hurriedly run to open the car door for me. i just knew mom made him stand outside for an hour before driving to school. it's so obvious with the way his driving got worse because of his shaky knees. he's aging as i grow older and one day when i'm the boss here, i refuse to let my mom's cruelty to our houseworkers grow with me.

"mr. park." i call him. "can we stop at a convenience store? i didn't get to eat." 

mr. park's eyebrows furrowed, "your mother didn't allow you to have breakfast?"

i simply nod as an answer. it isn't the first time i've been treated like this. i just know that every time dad side with me and start an argument with mom, i end up being the victim of child abuse. as dramatic as it sounds, that's what mr. park mentioned to me before about what she did.

"your mother isn't going to like that but i can't let you go to school hungry." he smiles, "who cares what she says, huh?"

i chuckle as he drives out of the garage. he took an opposite route than the usually taken to go to school. this is why i couldn't let him go. i grew up with him around and he is close to dad. if only mom understands how important everyone is as much as she is important.

"miss, do you need me to follow you inside?" he asks, as always; making sure of my safety.

i shake my head, "i'll manage."

i walk inside the store, feeling a bit lost. i haven't had any convenience store food since the time i was busted by dad eating there in middle school. mom got yelled at for letting me eat there yet it wasn't her fault. i just wanted to go there and eat snacks with my friends. apparently being born rich doesn't allow one to have a normal childhood.

now that dad isn't around that much, there's no reason to feel guilty for anything. furthermore, it's mom's fault for making me skip breakfast just because they both fought last night. even more, i'm sure 100% of the time their fights aren't because of me or my grades.

"haerin." 

i was surprised by someone i don't expect to meet here. god, this is embarrassing. why here out of all the places, kim yohan?

"good morning. you're here for breakfast too?" he asks, "never seen you around here."

i don't live in this neighbourhood, yohan. "i- um-"

why can't i just play it cool? i'm stuttering so much, he would've thought i have speech problems or something. this is so awkward.

"haerin." he walks closer to the empty space next to me as he leaned his ears closer to my face. "i can't hear you. mind repeating that again?"

"nothing, i haven't said anything." i quickly pull myself to walk away from him. god, i could feel the boiling blood rushing to my cheeks. why did he do that?