Chapter 8

My mum brings over a cup of tea.

“I added a little bit of honey just how you like it.” She says smiling.

She sits down, wrapping her green robe around her.

“So are you going to sit there staring into your cup or are you going to talk to me?”

My fingers trace around the top of the cup. I finally look up and make eye contact.

“I just… I miss her mum. I can’t live without her.”

“Baby, I know you want her back. I want to see her again too… But that isn’t going to happen.” She says softly.

“You don’t think I know that?” I snap.

She frowns and tucks her bangs behind her ear.

“I’m sorry mum. I just- I don’t know what to do.”

“Sweetie, it is going to be hard. You’ll feel sad and blue. Everything you see will remind you of her but eventually you will move on.”

When she says that, something explodes inside me.

“What do you mean move on?!” I yell.

“I don’t want to move on! Ellie was my world. I can’t just let that go!”

“I can’t- I can’t let that go…”

Tears fall into my lap and I start shaking. Mum comes over to me and wraps her arms around me.

“I’m sorry Harry. I shouldn’t have said that. Look, how about you stay here for tonight? I think it would be good for you to get out of your place.”

I just nod my head.

“I’m going to bed.” I mumble.

I stand up and make my way to the stairs. When I get in my room I take a look around. My bed still has the dark blue sheets. The dresser is still in the back corner. The only thing different is my mum added a desk with a computer. I take my jacket off and throw it on the computer chair. My back hits the mattress and I stare at the ceiling. How did it end up like this? We should still be together. I should be in my own bed with you beside me, taking up all the room and kicking me in my sleep. I shouldn’t be alone in my childhood room. None of this is fair. I get up and pace back and forth across the room. I stop when I see something peeking out from under the bed. My fingers brush across the faded paper. It’s a concert ticket. I read it and it is from the Coldplay concert me and you went to. I had bought the tickets for our anniversary last year. You couldn’t believe I had gotten floor tickets. My mind wanders back to that night, You singing to every song, you dancing, the sweaty bodies pressed against us, hell, even with the fight I got into, it was still an incredible night.

*****

“I still can’t believe you got us tickets!” Ellie squeals.

We walk up to the arena, hand in hand. She looks so cute. Her jean shorts are high waist and cut off. Before we left she grabbed my pale blue button up and put in on over her white tank top. Then she put on a pair of white keds.

“We are about to see Coldplay in an hour. This is so exciting!” she says while pushing her sunglasses on top of her head.

Stepping through the doors, I give the tickets to the man at the door. He checks them then points us in the direction of where we enter.

I take Ellie’s hand in mine. She speeds up as we get closer to the floor. Soon she is dragging me along.

“Harry, speed up! How can you walk at a time like this?”