Chapter 1

It had been a month since Rey had turned nineteen. Her parents informed her she would soon wed to the king of Ireland. She had her things packed and was ready to go. Almost.

"Princess, are you ready?" Mary, a servant to the kingdom asked as she went into Rey's bedroom. Mary was an elder servant who had raised Rey and Rey's youngest brother, Marcus while their parents ran the kingdom.

"Of course." Rey lied. Rey was nervous about her future husband and future new home and country. "Mary," Rey mumbled and met Mary's gaze.

"Yes, princess?" Mary responded giving Rey a warm smile.

"Do you think I could be a good queen in Ireland?" Rey asked.

"I know you'd be an amazing queen." Mary replied.

"I know I have duties for our people, but I just hate leaving Marcus, he is still so young, I worry he won't understand my leaving." Rey mumbled.

"He will, princess. You will still get to say goodbye before you board on your ship." Mary responded.

"You'll take care of him for me after I am gone?" Rey asked smiling weak.

"I'll protect him with my life, I promise." Mary assured her. Mary's hazel eyes were warm and calming. Mary knew exactly how to cheer Rey up.

"Thank you, Mary. Truth be told, I always thought of you as a second mother, I will miss you dearly." Rey said tearing up.

"Do not cry, child. You will meet your husband by tomorrow, you must stay strong." Mary said and rubbed Rey's cheek. "But I will miss you too."

Rey hugged Marcus tightly. Marcus was only ten years old. Even though Rey was ready to do what was best for England, she still worried about her brother who was also her best friend.

"I will miss you, Rey." Marcus whispered.

"I will miss you too, love." Rey whispered back letting him go.

"Will we meet again?" Marcus asked.

"I believe so, one day." Rey answered.

"And if we don't?" Marcus asked tearing up.

"Here," Rey said as she took off her bracelet and gave it to him. "Keep this with you and remember I'll always be with you in your heart, and it will be a reminder of me." Rey said giving him a warm smile.

"You won't forget me?" Marcus asked.

"I could never forget my best friend." Rey assured him.

"Then I shall give you this," Marcus responded as he ran out of the room and came back a few moments later with a small painting. "I painted this last night; I want you to take it."

Rey looked at the painting and smiled at it. It was a painting of Marcus and her picking daisies.

"I love it," Rey beamed. "And I love you. It is beautiful." Rey finished and hugged him once more and let him ago after a few seconds.

"Goodbye, mother." Rey said turning to the queen.

"You are strong and wise, don't forget that." Rey's mother, Anne responded.

"I'll try." Rey responded and hugged her.

"Come along, Rey. We better head on board." The king named Henry said.

"Yes, father." Rey replied.

Rey could not sleep in the boat. She was nervous. Will the king like me? Will he treat me like a wife? I don't even know him. Is he kind? Is he rude?

She then thought about Mary and Marcus. She already missed them terribly. She wondered what Marcus was doing right now.

"Enough."  Rey groaned softly and shook her head. "Be strong, be strong."

"Rey, are you awake?" Henry asked as he knocked on the door.

"Coming!" Rey answered and quickly answered the door.

"I wanted to check up on you before you meet the king of Ireland." Henry said with a small smile.

"I'll be honest, father-- I am nervous, but I know my duties as princess and future queen." Rey admitted as she let him in the bedroom.

"You have always been wise beyond your years. Your mother and I have always been proud of you but if you do not wish to marry the king, I will personally turn this little ship of ours around and we will tell Ireland we won't be using their services." Henry responded.

Henry was not like most men who gave away their daughters. Most men would never consider the daughter's feelings and make sure they were actually okay with marrying a stranger. But Henry was not like most men. He was a great and wise king who had a big heart. But most of all, he was a great father who put Rey and Marcus first. There was times Henry would ignore his king duties and go and play with his children.

"No," Rey said and shook her head. "I want to marry him and do right by our people." Rey insisted.

"Are you sure?"

"Yes," Rey answered. "When is the wedding? I forgot that detail."

"Next week but the king had requested to meet you now, so you get used to the kingdom there." Henry answered.

"Right." Rey chewed on that.

"But don't worry, your mother, Marcus and I will board to Ireland for the wedding." Henry responded.

"I should get some rest," Rey yawned. "If I want to make a good impression with the king tomorrow."

"Indeed," Henry chuckled. "Goodnight, dear."

"Goodnight." Rey said and Henry left shutting the door.

She laid on the bed letting her mind wonder so she could not get bored. She closed her eyes trying to picture what her king would look like.