Chapter 8

Rey could barely sleep. Her thoughts were racing in her mind. Her worry grew more and more as each silent moment passed. Rey was worried for Ben and his safety. Rey couldn't completely understand why. Ben was cold towards her and even in that moment he was kind, she didn't completely trust it but what made her feel worse was remembering what Olivia had told her about Ben's childhood and why he was the way he was. He didn't even cry for his father at all. Olivia's voice echoed in her mind. His father was cold, colder than Ben is.

Rey groaned and went out on her balcony and looked out up at the night sky and stared at the stars. She had wished things were different. Rey wished she could get closer to Ben and meet the real Ben. There is no way someone is that cold, right?  Rey asked herself in her mind.

Rey looked down and saw the kingdom's garden. They were full of roses, and she couldn't help but smile. Roses were always her favorite flower. Rey had always loved the smell and she remembered when she picked at the rose bushes when she was a young child. It was a simple time.

Rey wondered how Marcus was doing since she had left. She missed him dearly. Rey knew she'd see him at the wedding, but it didn't help her feeling of being lonely. Then her mind went to Mary. She missed Mary. Rey knew if she were here right now, she'd comfort her with her being there and her words.

"Rey?" Rey heard and winced turning to see who it was. Fred.

"I'm so sorry--" Fred apologized. "Did I scare you?"

"Um," Rey sighed and giggled. "Maybe a little."

"I'm sorry." Fred chuckled.

"It's alright, you are forgiven." Rey responded giggling more. "But you need to learn to ask to enter a woman's bedroom."

"You're right."

"I know." Rey smugly murmured.

"Couldn't sleep?" Fred asked and walked towards Rey.

"No," Rey sighed. "I know it's strange since the king's actions towards me, but I am worried, I'm worried about him and his safety and with this spy-- I just can't find a way to sleep."

"A spy?" Fred responded a bit confused.

"Someone from another country is here, he doesn't know who or where." Rey responded as she looked at him and frowned.

"I'll protect you from whoever this is, it's my job. You have nothing to worry about. I'm sure he'll be fine." Fred assured her.

"But what if he dies?" Rey asked.

"I'll still be your friend."