~ 16 ~

I don't know what came over me in that moment. It may have been the fact that all the other debs had gone much farther than me... It might've been that I wanted Jere to be more than just a fling. I wanted him to be mine... So I pulled him by the hand, placing a finger to my lips to tell him to stay quiet. We slowly crept into the house. I had told my mom that I had a party with the debs, so she had probably gone to sleep. My guess was that Jolene and Spencer had as well since they had an early drive ahead of them. We snuck up the stairs and down the hall to my room. Once inside I slid my back against the door and looked over at Jere who had a question-filled look on his face. I stepped closer to him. I could hear my heart beating in my ear.

"Jeez," I said short on breath.

"What?" He questioned.

"You can't hear it?" I asked.

"Hear what?" He asked.

"My heart, it's pounding so much," I said, instinctively putting his hand on my chest.

He smiled at the touch. I hadn't thought about how suggestive I was being necessary. I did know though that I wanted his touch. I moved his hand a bit lower, and he stopped it for a moment.

"Are you sure?" He asked.

I don't know what it was that possessed me to do this. But the tone of his voice, and the fact that he was excited and happy to be this close to me... but he still made sure it was what I wanted. I just kissed him. I hadn't fully expected something like this to happen, and yet somehow my body just knew.

"Please," I whispered.

He came back toward me and kissed me as his hands grazed gently over my skin. In his hands, I felt so safe, even though I was terrified. He grasped my chest, enough to make even more butterflies rise up inside my stomach. Jere parted his lips from mine and leaned his head down a bit further, this time placing a trail of kisses down my neck. I smiled, placing an encouraging hand gently on the back of his neck. His kisses sent shivers up my spine. He focused deeply on one spot, right around my collarbone. I knew there would be a hickey there by the time he was done. He pulled back and admired the mark. The look in his eyes, how he looked at me... It took my breath away. I could see his eyes jot from me to the window. When his eyes returned to me they held a bit of concern.

"It's late, don't you have another dance rehearsal tomorrow?" He asked.

"Yeah..." I said sorrowfully.

He started to step towards the door, but I pulled him back by his hand.

"Don't leave," I said.

"Inviting me to sleep over?" He asked. "A boy who likes to steal your time?"

I looked down in embarrassment, "A boy that I want to be my boyfriend."

His mouth immediately curved upward on one side, showing his smirk. 

He picked me up by my chin, making me look him in the eye, "I already marked you. How could I say no when I want you that badly?"

I kissed him softly. I got some pajamas and looked back at him. He quickly turned around and I threw him some large sweatpants I had. We both got changed.

"I'm all good now," I said

"Me too," he said.

We both turned back. His bare chest was out... Man, those days by the pool gave him the perfect tan.

"Are those cute little bears?" He teased.

I giggled and we laid down. We pulled up the covers and Jere wrapped his arm around my waist, pulling me close to him.

"Goodnight N/n," he said.

"Goodnight Jere," I said, leaning forward and turning off the light.

As I laid there in his warmth I realized just how nice it was. I could smell the cologne he must've put on earlier, and little remnants of the alcohol he drank. I could've gotten used to this. I didn't want it to end. The way we fit together like puzzle pieces... That night I would say I slept the best I had ever slept. When I woke up though, the fantasy of the previous night was gone. I had woken up to a knock at my door. 

"Y/n! Spencer and Jolene are leaving soon!" My mom shouted.

The part of the bed next to me was almost cold. I picked up my phone to see a message from Jere.

Jeremiah: Thought I might not make a great first impression as your boyfriend if your mom found me in your bed. I had the best time with you last night though, your cute face was almost too hard to leave

I sat up and pulled myself together. He made me feel like I had an extra few shots of Expresso all of the time. I headed downstairs to see Spencer loading bags into the car. I helped him with the last few, and we closed the trunk. I looked at him, I felt so bad about his situation, and my involvement.

"Call me, okay? I may not be your girlfriend, but I'm definitely your friend," I said.

He hugged me, "Thank you, Y/n."

I hugged him back tightly, "If things are rough, my mom will fly you out here, any time, any day."

He laughed, "I'll be okay."

"But if you aren't-" I started as I pulled back.

"I'll call," he said with a goofy smile on his face. 

"Y/n, it was so nice seeing you," Jolene said, coming in for a hug.

"You as well Jolene," I replied politely.

We parted from the hug and she went back to my mom for a final goodbye. I looked back at Spencer.

"You'll have to keep me updated on your hottie," he joked.

"Only if you promise not to go after him," I joked.

We both laughed for a minute before it was time for them to go. It was strange how we became such good friends. We waved them off... and that was them gone. It was only then that I realized that we were alone in the house. The whole reason she had asked Jolene to join us... She wasn't here for... I looked at my mom, hugging her from the side.

"We'll be okay," I reassured.

"We will," she smiled.

If I said it enough times, it might've been true.